I’m due for a more in-depth look at some feral stuff, so here we go! In 3.1, there are a couple new feral glyphs, so I thought it was about time to go through the entire bear and cat glyph selection we have once 3.1 hits. They aren’t listed in any particular order.
First, Glyphs for the bears:
There aren’t any…. just kidding. There are a few, but not really enough to be happy with the selection:
- Glyph of Challenging Roar – For a minor glyph slot, decreasing the cooldown of challenging roar is a pretty decent glyph.
- Glyph of Frenzied Regen – Increases healing done to you by 20% when frenzied regen is up. If you are popping that ability, you probably need all the extra healing you can get, so this one I like.
- Glyph of Growl – Increases chance for your taunt to work. If your growl is missing enough for you to be annoyed with it, feel free to pick up this glyph. (EDIT: comments below suggest this is useful for bears, since growl counts as a spell and thus has a high miss chance.)
- Glyph of Maul – Your maul hits 2 targets instead of 1. Useful as part of a multi-target tanking strategy. (Edit: Based on comments below, this one is worth picking up for PvE tanking).
- Glyph of Berserk – I think this is new in 3.1. Possibly useful, but I’m not sure this would be that good of a tanking glyph. If you really want your berserk to last longer, now it can. Probably not worth it for bear tanking, taking into consideration other glyphs.
- Glyph of survival instincts – Not Yet implemented on PTR, or wowhead. Increases stam by an extra 10% (so, survival instincts would be a total of 40% instead of 30%). I’ve been seeing mixed reviews on this. However, compared to our other options… I think a lot of bears may end up with it, anyway.
Glyphs for the Cats:
More selection than the bear glyphs in 3.1. It looks like they changed things up a bit.
- Glyph of dash – minor glyph. Faster is funner. This is probably a good PvP glyph for chasing things down.
- Glyph of Mangle – Would you like a nice hot cup of mangle lasting longer? The general consensus seems to be that this one isn’t worth picking up for raiding. If you really want more time before refreshing mangle, this is an option, but we’ve got other new glyphs that are going to be more useful.
- Glyph of Berserk – New glyph gives you reduced energy costs for longer. PvP glyph maybe or maybe not… I’m not sure it would be useful for raiding much at all, but I’m not 100% sure.
- Glyph of shred – This glyph is different on the PTR than the live server. The new version helps increase the duration of rip when you shred (up to 6 seconds). Since the rip glyph has been considered mandatory for raiding, I would consider this one even more so. However, it takes away most of it’s PvP usefulness that it had before.
- Glyph of Rip – Increases duration of rip by 4 seconds. Combined with the shred glyph, you could have 10 seconds longer between rip applications. This has interesting cat DPS implications that the feral math people should dig into soon (if they haven’t already). You may want just one or the other, or both, depending on what other glyphs come out on top for PvE.
- Glyph of Savage Roar – This is going to increase damage done by 3% now. Not 6% anymore (wowhead hasn’t updated yet). This is still likely to be a great glyph to pick up.
- Glyph of Rake – Maybe useful for leveling or something. Not really sure what else you’d use it for…
There is still time to figure out which combinations will work best. I just like seeing it all laid out in one place for discussion. I’m not comfortable with this selection enough to go with “use these 3″, so I’m giving you the whole selection for now to think about. What 3 would you choose?
Update: Here’s a post about the 3.1 glyphs for ferals that gives more specific feral suggestions by Altosis.