What's in my bank? Let's do the time warp again!

timewarpThe breakfast topic for today over at WoWinsider is asking about vanity items people are holding onto.

As a druid packrat, I started wondering about what kind of junk I have been holding onto in Lissanna’s bank. So, I figured I’d log into the game, peak in my bank, and talk about what completely useless stuff I have in my bank just because I can’t stand the idea of vendoring it. It’s pretty much like taking a stroll down raiding history. There’s gear from pretty much every raid instance that I’ve held onto.

My worst packrat offense is holding onto old tier sets. While I haven’t had enough bank space to hold onto all of them, I do have 7 out of 8 pieces of the Stormrage set (missing the shoulders, which sucks for using it as an RP set).  I also held onto the Genesis shoulders, boots, & helm. I’ll probably still have this assortment of gear in my bags for as long as I have a WoW account. For some reason, I have such a strong attachment to this gear that I refuse to let it go.

For more asthetic purposes, I’m holding onto my Stranglestaff (you never know when you’ll need to pull out a giant squid on a stick!).

I still have the Scepter of Celebras, and Mallet of Zul’Farrak which I didn’t know until 2 minutes ago were no longer keys that I needed to go back into ZF and Maraudon (even though I have no desire to ever go there again). I had so much random gear in my bank, I didn’t even notice they weren’t keys anymore. They’ll probably stay in my bank and get thrown out when I need more space for extra useless junk…

I gave up skinning when Burning Crusade came out, but I still have my trusty Finkle’s Skinner, since if I throw it out, I might need it again, even though mining and jewelcrafting are way better professions.

That’s just a small selection of what I have in my bank that isn’t actually functional or useful outside of holding onto old memories of when Lissanna was a young druid…

1. scaresome
    Posted March 29, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Tuxedo, purple dress, the little remote race car….

Just can’t throw them away!

2. Posted March 29, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

One that has been with me forever and I still use for RPing “the plumber of silvermoon” is Finkle’s Lava Dredger (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=18803) :)

3. Megami
    Posted March 29, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Great topic! As a wow player since day 1 and a druid since Dec ’05 I’ve had so many fond and not so great during my career in this game.

I’m always cramped for space and I wish I had all my old tier sets, but I do have a few things here and there that I still hold onto.

One is Light of Elune, http://www.wowhead.com/?item=5816 I don’t RP but it is such a cool item that I can’t use it or vendor it.

Another is my Onyxia Scale Cloak… that was such an epic quest line and story that I still think is fascinating. It was one of my proudest moments to finally face Onyxia with all of my friends. I remember spoilers being a big thing on my realm forums and in game, people didn’t want the ending to be ruined for them.

Mark of Tyranny http://www.wowhead.com/?item=13966 I was one of the few druids I new back then that chose this reward, and it was one of our best tanking trinkets for a long time. I know a lot of druids wished they had picked this one up. Smoking Heart of the Mountain also, I no longer have it but I held onto it for a long time.

End of Dreams… Need I say more? This was a dream come true when I got it, nevermind that you had to pair it with a blue lvl 56 book for it to be our best feral choice :P Sadly, I know a lot of hardcore guilds would DE this rather than give it to a druid because Resto was the only acceptable raid spec.

4. Posted March 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

I used to have a lava dredger. It got stuck in my moonkin feathers all the time. I think I got rid of it at some point.

5. Posted March 29, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I’ve kept as much as I can of the old tier sets, at least the pieces that are most visible on a model. I also have an entire bag dedicated to my hat collection: various hats that either look cool or took too much work to get to give up: the old Field Marshal’s hat, Narain’s soothsayer hat with silence resist, the halo from summer festival, etc. A few old weapons are still gathering dust, like my old SoD and the AQ40 caster staff.

I also still have my finkle’s skinner, in spite of now having a gnomish pocket knife. I enchanted it with beastslaying for giggles.

6. Joey
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Love this topic.

My Feral NE still has all the pieces to the Wildheart set (my fav tier 0 set) except for the helm in my bank. I might go back and try and farm that just so I can complete the set finally.

I also kept the Barov trinket and a few other misc trinkets like that.

They should give us a place to retire old set pieces. I saw a great post on resto4life about guild housing. That would be a great place to store old vanity gear.