Why Nourish is better than glyphed HT

There has been some argument about the value of glyphed HT compared to our other healing spells, in terms of what to use when 3.1 goes live. While glyphed HT may be useful for healing on the live servers right now, or for PvP in 3.1, or somewhere else where you need quick heals and can’t rely on your HOTs… glyphed HT will not be really a good heal to use in PvE  raiding in 3.1, compared to other healing tools we have available.

Lets break this down. In tree form, I have 1922 spell power & 273 haste on my PTR druid, with just MOTW buff. (with all the mana reduction talents, including moonglow & full tranquil spirit)

• Healing touch is: 0.923 sec cast, 645 mana.
  • Regrowth is: 1.85 sec cast, 719 mana
  • Nourish is: 1.39 sec cast, 509 mana.

Just looking at the mana costs, and how fast they cast, nourish actually wins, especially with the haste bonuses other classes will give you in a raid situation. Healing Touch will clip the GCD in PvE encounters more often than nourish, so at some point, you don’t gain anything from being below the GCD all the time in raid instances. For both HT and nourish being near the 1 second GCD most of the time, nourish just costs less mana per application, and mana is going to matter in Ulduar, especially if you want to be able to roll lifeblooms on a tank.

Lets look at the healing done to compare the spells, each with their own glyph: Nourish, regrowth, & healing touch. Includes every talent that increases the healing done by these 3 spells (including Empowered touch for HT tests). Sample includes data from 10 to 15 non-crit casts. I like posting ranges better than averages for small casting sample sizes.

For nourish, this includes only the glyph and NOT the Tier 7 bonus, since if you are in full T8, you won’t have that bonus anymore. When you have the T7 bonus AND nourish glyph, nourish with 2 to 3 HOTs automatically wins, based on numbers I posted elsewhere. The nourish glyph increases the amount of nourish’s healing by 6% for EACH HOT on the target.

• Glyphed HT: Healing range 4996 to 5398
  • Regrowth w/regrowth HOT applied: Range 5153 to 5415
  • Nourish no HOTs: 3835 to 4128
  • Nourish with 1 HOT (+glyph, no T7 bonus): 4877 to 5303
  • Nourish with 2 HOTs (+glyph): 5101 to 5486
  • Nourish with 3 HOTs (+glyph): 5353 to 5791

So, the break-even point for Nourish, regrowth, and Glyphed HT in terms of healing done is Nourish with 2 HOTs. When you have 3 HOTs on your target, nourish wins hands-down. At the 2 HOT breaking point, nourish wins for mana efficiency x speed tradeoffs in 3.1, where you have to worry about your mana. You should also have HOTs on a main tank if you are using your direct heals in the first place, and the glyphed HT costs you 7 talent points more (5/5 naturalist & 2/2 Empowered touch) that will make picking up your AOE heal talents harder, for very little (or nothing) in return. Also, if you have both the T7 bonus and the nourish glyph, nourish blows all these numbers out of the water with a lower # of HOTs requried. Even wild growth counts as a HOT for the glyph bonus of Nourish, so if you use it as a raid heal on people with wild growth and/or rejuv on them, then you’re gaining the benefit of the HOT +glyph combo.

Also, both regrowth and nourish would win out based on the 25% extra crit that they have compared to healing touch, which leads to more Nature’s Grace and/or living seed procs (in addition to the increased healing done from crits).

Use Nourish with HOTs for tank healing in 3.1 (with the nourish glyph and/or T7 bonus). Skip the HT-specific talents and the glyphed HT. If you really don’t care about mana efficiency, just use regrowth with glyph. :)

EDIT: Based on feedback – Glyphed healing touch is awesome for leveling before you get nourish. All the resto druids that are still leveling should pick up the HT glyph for their healing specs in 3.1. You can keep it for PvP healing at level 80, but it’s not going to be worthwhile for PvE healing in 3.1 once the nourish glyph goes live. Also, HT is for having a huge instant-heal when you use it with Nature’s Swiftness. When you glyph for HT, you take away the best NS-combo.

1. Paininabox
    Posted March 25, 2009 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

I’d like to mention that glyphed HT does have the benefit of being the highest hps heal in the game that can reach cast times of ~.7 sec if glyphed, hasted, and talented. Thus, its value in being fast is similarly why no one cares what the efficiency or hps of swiftmend is, because it can save someone that would die otherwise. It’s not good to chain cast because you’ll still have to wait on the GCD, and it isn’t even as efficient as an unhot’ed and unglyphed nourish, but I think it’s fair to tip the hat to the ability to save lives.

How often are you in a position where having that ability is beneficial? Probably not often. Is it worth a major glyph slot? Not likely, but it’s an option if you want it.

Otherwise, nourish is superior in every way imaginable, ESPECIALLY for tank healing.

Posted March 25, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Glyphed HT probably makes a good PvP healing spell, as it doesn’t require HOTs to be effective, and the faster cast time is actually likely going to matter more in arenas than raids.

3. aramis
    Posted March 26, 2009 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Can I just say first of all…THANKS!

Thanks for finally being the person to explain all this in plain language and not some weird WoW-calculus greek language that has me wishing I could go back in time to the point in high school where I opted to not take pre-cal and cal as my senior math class the differences.

Okay, so with Nourish’s intro I kind of and until recently (as in after having read this post) have completely ignored it. I always felt like it was just another HT that was being shoved in our throats that was completely useless because the stuff we had was fine. A tragic misconception on my part.

I see now the benefits of using it, BUT are we then ignoring HT as a result of the bonuses offered by Nourish? I can’t say that I’ve used HT too-too often, but it was my favorite direct heal (I mean sometimes it would come in at 9K per heal which was just lovely) if for some reason my target was getting hit harder and faster than my usual rotation of HOTs and regrowth could handle. Seems like nourish would do a lot better job at this in the new patch, but I would hate to forsake HT, call me old fashioned, heh.

4. Posted March 26, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

My opinion on glyphed HT has always been that it is a levelling glyph or an off-spec glyph.

5. Posted March 26, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

“…that can reach cast times of ~.7 sec if glyphed, hasted, and talented.” (quoted from first comment)

But it can’t though, because of the 1 second GCD.

@Bell: Agreed. I also think it’s best for leveling, before you have nourish.

6. Shynda
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 2:36 am | Permalink

I never liked pre-3.1 nourish much, compared to regrowth. It got much-debated, its advocates saying that its faster casttime was very very important. If the tank is going to die before your regrowth goes off, that is no good. They had a point.

So I think that that’s the biggest advantage of a glyphed healing touch. It’s the quickest large direct heal there is.

7. Melchoir
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 8:39 am | Permalink

@aramis – “I see now the benefits of using it, BUT are we then ignoring HT as a result of the bonuses offered by Nourish?”

Ever since the introduction of the improved nourish and regrowth glyph, I have laid off HT. However, the spell is not useless by any means. I’ve never taken the HT glyph for one major reason: it kills our healing nuke. Pairing unglyphed HT with Nature’s Swiftness for an instant 13k+ crit heal is always nice and has saved many lives. Even when it doesn’t crit, it is our highest HPS instant heal. I’ve rarely found that I need it more than once every 3 minutes, and if I do, it is usually a sign that we are about to wipe. That having been said, I have worked it into my rotation without NS occasionally. So, you need not ignore it, but I wouldn’t recommend it being your go-to spell either.

8. Maxidivine of Uther
    Posted April 23, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Sadly, I am one of the last believers in the glyphed healing touch. Blizzard is really trying to make us tree go nourish but I refuse. I can understand going Nourish + hots + set bonus if you’re main tank healing a heroic. For everything past that nourish is just not the way to go. Why not just roll a pally if you want a nuke heal? Why not just play a priest?

Druids have a niche in the game that few others can touch, and that’s AOE heals. I can solo heal a tank, no problem, but I am most helpful to my guild in raids if I can keep the whole group up. Why do more people not see this? I believe our place in a 10 or 25 is to keep the raid up (especially now with Ulduar where there is a TON of AOE damage *i.e. Deconstructor*) while still throwing up hots on the tank. I have enough healing power to hold the tank up if needed for certain fights, same as any of the other healers in the group, but I can do something almost no other class/spec can, and that is group heal.

I also don’t understand after the 3.1 patch why if most the tree complaints I hear have to do with nerfed mana regen why are you kililng yourselves with the burst heal Noursih that’s less mana efficient than GHT, and end up overhealing it anyway? If you need a panic button heal, just set yourself up a macro with NS Rejuv SM. I’d like to see a little more argument from the people playing glyphed HT, seeing how I’ve never met anyone that uses it. I also top every other druid I’ve healed with, with significantly less overhealing, and a much wider range of adaptability for raids. Just some food for thought. :)

9. Maxidivine of Uther
    Posted April 23, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

That macro should have a Regrowth not a Rejuv :D

10. Posted April 23, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I was specifically talking about uses for tank healing at this stage in my posting. For raid healing, when you don’t have HOTs on the target, you are comparing glyphed HT to nourish with 0 to 1 HOT (most of the time), where the breaking point for Nourish being obviously better is at about 2 HOTs. For a raid healing tool, I’ve said elsewhere that Nourish w/no HOTs isn’t a good tool…

11. Karnek
    Posted May 2, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Same for me, my druid is a raid healer. My job is to just smooth out the big fights and keep everyone going through all the AOE damage. I’ve specialized for rejuvenation and glyphed HT. I spam rejuv on the tanks, melee and anyone taking damage, throw down wild growth whenever the cooldown is up, and then do HT when I need to help stop people from actually going down – but the priests and paladins always get there faster than me. I see my role as preventative; I remove the damage at the beginning, so it doesn’t kill people at the end. I like glyphed HT because it casts SO fast. I don’t really care about mana efficiency.