Leveling healing: Guest post by Verdantazia of Silverhand

This post was received in my mail from Verdantazia. I thought it was a really interesting perspective, so I got permission to post it as a guest post. Enjoy!  I’m doing my oral comps defense today (Monday), so I thought today would be a great day to have a guest poster! – Lissanna

Hi. I’m a fellow WoW player who, in the last five months, has devoted a large amount of time to leveling a healing druid. Verdantazia, NE druid 75 on Silverhand.

Whilst doing so, I naturally scouted around online to learn and read about my class, how to heal, how to gear, what to expect and so forth. However, as wonderful and useful as all the blogs and postings and guides have been, there was a large deficit of practical understanding for how to heal BEFORE you’re 80 and have Nourish and uber, epic gear. I was hoping to share some things that you might want to share with people who are in the relative same position that I am in. I’ve compiled a list of things things that one has to have/do in order to heal successfully in regular 5mans AND the reasons why they are necessary.

Let me begin by saying that I leveled Verdantazia entirely as healing spec, solo, until reaching 50 where I decided to dual spec to Moonkin. As such, I *thought I knew what I was doing in 5 man heals. I did Zul Furrak just fine in tree form, laying down Rejuvs and the occasional regrowth, and all was well. I ended up partnering with a friend and did just fine in groups in Outlands, until I reached 70 and decided to try healing for Uttgard Keep. To say that it was a disaster was a mild understatement. We wiped, oh, easily 9 times and only managed to finish by recruiting an 80.

From this trial-by-fire, I learned several things, and I wanted to share them, because currently almost all guides are written by, and for, people whose toons are 80 and for playing raids. Virtually no one gives advice on what to do before then. So here is the list for ~60-79 Resto Druids:

• 1. Whatever else you may have, glyph-wise before 80, you MUST have the Healing Touch glyph.

I know that might seem obvious to people who have already reached 80 and switched over to the Nourish glyph/skill, but coming from the background of a healing Priest it is not, and it needs explanation. As a Priest, who traditionally heals with lump-sum heals, the idea of nerfing my one good big heal seemed unthinkable. And it still is. Half healing amount to the one big heal I have? What if I need it? BUT there can be no doubt that Blizzard has created the Northrend (and Outland) instances around the idea that you do, in fact, have a flash heal, and we don’t, until 80. So a healing druid really has no choice but to glyph HT into one – the spike damage in 60-70 instances is way too much to function without it.

• 2. To be successful in Outlands/Northrend instances you must OVERHEAL, OVERHEAL, OVERHEAL.

Regular 5 mans are a series of sprints, not marathons like Raids are. As such you MUST THROW MANA EFFICIENCY out-the-window and overheal like crazy. Druids are pro-active healers, due to the fact that HoT’s take time to heal, and do best stacked. Therefore you must pretend that everyone’s taking damage all the time, even if they aren’t. You have to have the HoTs already doing when the spike damage hits everyone. Ignore raider 80’s who talk about over-healing, and heal as much as you can. Don’t worry about using up all your mana after each pull, that’s what water (and innervate) is for! If I’m drinking, I know everyone’s alive. If I’m not, I know everyone’s dead, and we’ve had wipe. This leads to:

• 3. Keep Wild Growth up every second it comes up for refresh, and spec up to it as soon as you can.

To heal a tank and four other people (including yourself), you need as many HOTs going as possible. This means using Wild Growth as the HoT you already have going on everyone when the spike damage comes, which it always does. It becomes the platform upon which you lay down Rejuvs and Lifeblooms upon once everyone’s health has suddenly dropped by half or more. I can’t emphasize this enough – keep WG up at all times.

• 4. Put the 2 points into improved Tranquility and USE IT.

I have used Tranquility at least once in every single 5 man I have participated in, in the last month, and each time it has saved the group. Why? Because with the talent points it garners zero threat, and it can heal everyone (including me) at least three times over. I find, because of Global Cooldown, I can’t realistically smother all five of us in Rejuvs fast enough to deal with massive AOE damage, and although Wild Growth is absolutly wonderful, it is by itself, rather a small. So, do yourself a favor and put those two points into Tranquilty, and hot-key it, love it, and use it. Feel free to respec out of it later on for Raiding, but until then, it’s a must-have tool.

• 5. Do everything you can to avoid aggro.

Again, this may seem obvious, but from someone who played a Priest since the day WoW began, I had been pretty used to laying down a bubble or a Renew (depending on class) on a tank before they rushed into fight, and essentially getting a free heal without any threat. To my deathly suprise, druid HoT’s seem to attract an aweful lot of unwanted attention from instance mobs. So . . . DO NOT DROP HoT’s on the tank before he/she rushes in. I find letting the tank get enough damage to equal the lump-sum heal amount afforded by Regrowth to be just right for making sure he/she has all the threat, and then laying down a Regrowth followed by all my other HoTs.

• 6. Ignore the 80 Raider’s belief that you should stack spirit for instances.

This may be true for Raiding and post 80 content, but it is NOT true for regular instances. Instead, have a goodly mount of Stamina and Int, just as if you a DPS caster. Why? Because invariably you DO get some threat, and if you’re all spirit you will die in one hit. I know, It happened to me. Several times. I learned the lesson the hard way. And as I said earlier, regular 5 mans are sprints. You should be drinking after each pull anyways. It isn’t about having to have mana regen over the course of 30 mins. It’s about surviving the next 3 mins. At 75, now, in blue gear, I’m approaching 10k in health, and now, on the odd occasion the tank loses threat, I can at least survive through several hits, and not die immeditely.

• 7. Use Lifebloom (when you get it at 64)

Since in 5 mans you’re both a group and a tank healer, you need to use all your HoTs. And Lifebloom is essential. Use one just one application at-a-time, as part of your HoT stack on the Tank, and refresh after it blooms. This is extremely easy to do thanks to its little whoosing chimey noise. Also use it with Rejuv when your’e spot healing for AOE damage. 80 Raiders all seem to be down on it, because in their world it’s no longer the most effiecient way to heal. In regular 5 mans, efficiency is surviving, and surviving is overhealing, so lay that Lifebloom down!

And finally:

• 8. Best possible rotation in Northrend instances (before level 80) seems to be -

Regrowth on the tank (because it fills the hitpoints lost while you’re waiting for him/her to get all the aggro), followed by Rejuv, usually followed by a Healing Touch flash heal to those who need it, followed by ONE Lifebloom application to the tank (which I listen for and reapply after it blooms), and then finally Wildgrowth on the tank, which you then keep applying to the tank the instant it comes up for renewal. Lay down Rejuvs and a lifebloom for spot healing, and multiple flash heals as necessary, followed by that lovely Tranqillity for those moments when the you-know-what hits the fan,

Result – Success!

1. Posted November 16, 2009 at 2:37 am | Permalink

Just one thing: you don’t get Lifebloom until level 64.

Otherwise everything else are exactly what I experienced healing in Ramparts and Blood Furnace. Wild Growth really isn’t enough to heal through the melee AOE damage, so you really do need to throw HOTs around. Regrowth’s 2-second cast really is too slow when the tank is really taking a beating, so the Healing Touch glyph really is a must.

Only thing I don’t quite get is why not stack up Lifebloom if the tank is full? You get mana back per application, so isn’t it actually better to stack to three (assuming you don’t need the bloom yet) and only always let it bloom at three-stack?

2. Posted November 16, 2009 at 3:04 am | Permalink

I have not experienced the issues you have brought up. I am leveling a druid healer with a pali tank. Most of the outlands were spent waiting for enough damage to hit for me to even worry about it. Northrend has been a bit more difficult but not in any way “hard”. I run about 25-30% overhealing from rejuv and regrowth. I do hit the tank with a long cast Healing Touch now and again. If I see the party taking damage I hit thme with my instant, check the tank, top everyone off and roll. I am level 72 now and we just ran AN and ANK, we wiped one time due to me getting cursed and the tank making a bad pull on two groups. Otherwise, there have been relatively few issues. I will however use Lifebloom more often than I have in the past after the article, I do appreciate that.

3. Elume
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 4:55 am | Permalink

I’m currently leveling a druid (Moonkin/Resto, currently lvl 76), yet my healing experience differs significantly from the OP.

I originally used the glyph of Healing Touch but gave up on it around lvl 40 – it was simply too mana inefficient for my taste. It’s probably a lot better when you take the appropriate talents, but the old world instances are so easy that you won’t have to use HT all that much anyway. I dual speced around lvl 50 and didn’t have much trouble healing as a balance druid before then.

I wouldn’t want to heal outside of tree form in Outland or Northrend though since, as the OP noted, the mobs hit a lot harder. I used the glyph of Swiftmend (absolutely wonderful, even before 80 – an instant flash heal that doesn’t consume you HOTs) and glyph of Regrowth (undecided on this one, but 20% extra healing can be nice when overpulling).

I had absolutely no trouble casting Rejuv early, like 1 or 2 seconds into the pull, at least with reasonably competent tanks. AFAIK it ticks the first time after 3 seconds, so casting it doesn’t give much aggro. I then usually followed up with a Regrowth. By all means, keep those two on the tank at all time until you get Lifebloom, and use SM/RG/NS+HT/WG as needed for spike and AOE damage. I found Regrowth to be quite a good flash heal, especially when glyphed. As a resto druid, definitely should go after Harold’s Rejuvenating Broach in Nagrand. It’s awesome and will last you far into Northrend.

I agree with the OP on the importance of spirit though, or rather its unimportance. I found spell power to be the most useful stat for leveling balance or resto druids. Int and Spirit are nice, but I wouldn’t stack them. With enough SP your HOTs heal for a crazy amount, and there will be very little reason to use flash heals–my tanks rarely drop below 80%, except at the beginning of a fight when a Swiftmend or Regrowth will help them back up.

Even without stacking Spirit, mana efficiency of trees is outstanding. I basically never have to drink, and I only rarely have to use Innervate during fights (beginner tip: make it a habit to *always* hold the Alt key while clicking Innervate so that you and not your current target gets the mana :) If you have mana problems make sure you have three talent points in Intensity, make sure you understand the 5 second rule, and use Omen of Clarity procs to put a free Lifebloom on someone who needs it and get free mana in return.

One last tip: use a dedicated healing addon like VuhDo (my personal favorite) or Grid. I still use key bindings for healing the tank, but being able to throw around Rejuvs/Regrowths/Decurses etc. to random party without having to change the current target is a huge relief.

4. Antboy
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 5:04 am | Permalink

I have never experienced the issues you are talking about in any 5 man Outland or Northrend tbh. I have always had rejuv and 1 lifebloom on tank, letting it bloom, completing it with a rejuv (+swiftmend) for spikes. HT is only rarely used together with Nature’s Swiftness for pinch situation.

The scenario you describe may be due to low spell power. I hit Northrend at lvl 70 with ca 950 sp and ended it at lvl 80 with around 1100 sp, but a lot more int/spi. I always made sure to have at least some enchants on gear for spell power which i leveled as a profession anyway.

Also, not using the Lifebloomer addon (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info8467-Lifebloomer1.6.1.html) while levelling up is a crime. It will improve your performance dramatically.

5. yukiji
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 5:58 am | Permalink

nice idea, i didn’t have much issues healing outlands/northrend as a moonkin geared bal/resto dual spec, but i had enough close calls where a guide like this woulda been nice.

i always kept lifebloom rolling 3 stack on the tank and melee if i could, because the only guides i could find were from the TBC. had some nice mana problems with that.

6. Posted November 16, 2009 at 6:02 am | Permalink

Is your tank protection spec with tanking gear? The things I brought up were with a ret in his leveling green ret gear. And he didn’t have a shield so he was basically just DPSing with righteous fury on. That may be why he takes spikes quite often.

7. uncaringbear
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Great post! I literally just hit 80 on my druid tonight (yay!), and I had very similar experiences, although I didn’t try healing instances until Northrend. One of the things touched on by the commenters is the quality and skills of the pre-80 tanks you’re playing with, especially if it’s a PuG. There are more than a few leveling tanks who are simply not even close to being geared or specced for tanking. This can healing challenging, to say the least.

The recommendation to get the glyph for Healing Touch is spot on. Now that I have Nourish, I must admit there is some trepidation replacing my old healing touch with the new shiny spell. I also recommend leveling druids make an effort to balance Int and Spirit. I definitely had some mana issues during leveling, and as soon as I added more Int, things improved. I understand Spirit is superior after 80, but that extra Int helped me a lot while leveling.

Posted November 16, 2009 at 10:23 am | Permalink

I’m glad to see that you guys are having fun discussing all this & I’m glad to see that some people have some good advice on things like mods that would help out this druid. :)

When I write my guides, I avoid saying “have to do X” and like giving multiple options, but I really posted this because I wanted people to be able to comment on it & discuss, rather than me just replying to their e-mail. :)

9. Seca
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I hate saying anything is a must. :) I levelled 58-70 as tree, and then healed my way through WotLK as balance. Never once glyphed HT. It comes down to personal style and preference. There are other tools.

One piece of advice I would give is to get a good pvp trinket. Especially for WotLK heroics. I often found it was worth giving up a little SP or regen to break a stun or fear at that crucial moment.

10. Aysel
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I have to say I never used a glyphed HT either. I’ve leveled primarily as Resto from 0-80, though I was raiding in BC. I did use the regrowth glyph when I leveled. I suppose that would count as my flash heal. Glyphed swiftmend is also a godsend. I cannot honestly remember the last time I used tranquility. If you are using it every run I’d say there is a larger issue. Seriously, fire burns, get out of it.

I really have no idea how you manage to pull aggro with a few hots. Even with low threat generation my heals don’t pull hardly any aggro. Actually if a tank does on TC, DnD, or consecrate (severe lack of druid tanks on my server, no idea how much threat swipe generates) I am fine for pretty much the entire fight. DPS generates way more threat, like way way more.

I think one of the issues is that lots of people came from raiding in BC and flew through NR. I know I did. I didn’t find a ton of upgrades along the way either. Haste was on everything, and I didn’t need much of it, so while it still took my 1.95 seconds to cast a regrowth, I also had 1400 SP behind it.

My theory on Spirit was that as a druid I get 1.1 Spr for every 1 spr on my gear, spr is also 30% of my oo5s regen, plus like 15% more SP. Anything to get me more SP was good, and you have innervate for a reason. Of course since then innervate has been nerfed for resto, and it seems like I barely get half a bar from it now.

Posted November 16, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I think leveling in full epic tier gear is a much different experience than leveling up in actual green quest items of that level of content. So, for people starting out in greens, I think glyphed HT could be a good tool (if used in combination with HOTs) for a leveling healer. However, since a lot of us learned how to heal without it back in the Vanilla or BC days, we learned how to heal without the glyphs and such. I still really recommend glyphed HT as a viable leveling heal option on your way to 80, personally. However, I’m always the first to agree that there is more than 1 way to do anything in this game.

12. Verdantazia
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 12:26 am | Permalink

My advice is, in fact, based on PUG’s and green reward gear. That’s what most people have if they’re not doing instances all the time. That’s what I had at the time of the ill-fate UK, and indeed, the whole point of doing instances is to get the yummy blues.

I stand fully behind my assertion that you really do need a flash heal for instances. I originally tried using Regrowth as my flash heal, but half of its power is taken up with its HoT function, and it’s not nearly as good a flash heal as glyphed HT.

The moment I get nourish, i’m going to go back to the glyph I had, and add the nourish glyph, but until then, my system really does work.

As for pulling aggro – there are a lot of tank’s out there, who either because of their class, their play style, or their experience level can’t take on four or five elite mobs and hold their full attention. What can I say. I’ve found that trying to preheal leads to unwanted aggro, and I feel my advice is sound. Patience, in this area, is a virtue.

I completely agree that the old world instances are very very simple to heal, and I would say, almost relaxing. Rejuv, and few regrowths, and maybe a lifebloom for fun. But the more current content is far more intense, and it is based around a lot of spike damage. Period.

As for stacking lifebloom: I simply find it’s more useful to let it bloom, then I get the nice, persistent jump of healing, as I do with my random Seed proc. I keep 4 HoTs at all times on the tank.

Also, if I were to stack lifeblooms and even roll them, that would be one extra thing I would have to worry about and track. Much easier just to wait for the chimey sound and reapply.

13. Posted November 17, 2009 at 1:05 am | Permalink

With quested greens only, you’re looking at about less than 400 spellpower between 60-62, then say 500 by 65. Unless you run instances for leveling, you’re looking at never exceeding 550 spellpower in Outlands. (Pre buffs and consumables.)

My only previous healing experience was on a paladin, so glyphed HT makes me feel much more comfortable. For those not familiar with the instance, it’s also rather difficult to anticipate damage, and by the time you realize you need HT and are only halfway through the cast, the tank is already at 20% with cooldowns all out. Or maybe I just happened to have ran with people letting mobs hit their backs, haha.

As for mods, I’m a grid person (use it for other roles, too) so I have this kind of setup:

The black box is my character name that I covered up. The green numbers show that it’s a three-stack with 5.6 seconds to run. Top right green dot shows Rejuv is on the target, top left WG, bottom right Regworth, and all number- and dot-indicators change to yellow then red as the HOTs run its course. I need to add side indicators to reserve top-left for aggro, though. The white border indicates my current target. The blue thingy is a mana bar showing me at low mana; and the brown background shows I’m a druid at full health.

Once you get used to seeing information at condensed form in Grid, it’s actually quite the tool. I also have it set to show anyone who lacks MotW by showing the MotW icon behind their name if they still need it. Curses and Poison are also shown by an icon in this way.

I’ve had aggro on the pull by hotting up the tank pre-pull. Some tanks just don’t have the tool yet, or the mindset, during leveling. But most of the time they get the mobs back easy enough.

I tried the Swiftmend glyph and I really love it, but then took it out anyway since I don’t want to rely on something with such a long cooldown. I’m trying to train myself to time my Regrowth properly.

One real problem I’ve had was keeping calm when chaos beaks out. I’ve had times when I forgot about my Nature’s Swiftness+Rg panic button, times when I ran a whole instance forgetting ever to use Swiftmend. There’s even times when I casted Rejuv on the tank three times in a row while I intended to cast Regrowth yet my fingers just don’t listen to me. I think this is the biggest hurdle new healers face.

14. Elume
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 8:51 am | Permalink

When I first read Verdantazia’s post I thought she must be doing something wrong, because her experience was so different from mine. It didn’t occur to me that my healing experience so far may have been a bit atypical (or maybe Verdantazia’s is atypical – I really can’t tell).

Part of the reason may be that I’m leveling on a fairly old server and Outland and Northrend are full of people running around in heirloom gear and intimately familiar the content. Pugging in Northrend has been a joy so far, and I now realize how weird that may sound to some people… Oh, there were fights that were really challenging to heal. The Black Stalker; the escort quest in Mana Tombs; Dalronn, Ingvar, Keristrasza, Jedoga Shadowseeker, Zuramat the Obliterator. But on most fights I got along just fine using only my HOTs and the occasional Swiftmend/NS+HT…

But another reason may be that druid healing is so flexible and allows so many different play styles. I’m a HOT person, I get nervous when my tanks drop below 70%. Other people are more comfortable using flash heals. It all depends on your personal preferences, on your equipment, and on the people you play with. And let’s be honest: as long as we manage to keep the party alive, it doesn’t really matter how we do it :)

15. Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I just have this to say to those who choose to level all the way to 80 as a healer: KUDOS!

I leveled 70-80 as Resto, but went 1-70 as Feral and I can say that while I died a lot less when I switched to resto, the leveling was SOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOW.

Antboy made a good comment about spellpower. THAT was my failness my first run as a tree in Utgarde Keep. I had like 600-ish spellpower bonus and I couldn’t heal past the second boss as they were hitting harder than I could heal. So that might be something to consider, as well as pre-80 tanks. The biggest problem with them is they often are tanking in their leveling DPS gear, and thus, taking a lot more damage than is really necessary. Again, something to consider.

But best of luck to the OP! I know I’m glad I went resto because I just haven’t looked back at all on that decision.

16. Kieran
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Hi all,
    I currently have a Resto Druid, level 67, and I found this post quite weird to read. I’ve so far done Ramparts, Blood Furnace, Underbogs, Mana Tombs & Crypts. I NEVER used Healing Touch. Instead, for Ramps & BF, I rolled Rejuv & Regrowth on the MT, then popped a Swiftmend when needed. If I saw someone take Aggro, I would pop a Rejuv on them. This was enough, even with my gear which was sub-standard due to Refer a Friend. I only used Wild Growth on occasions when I saw everyone dropping and it covered it, this was only once or twice through the whole instance. I never touched Tranquillity.
    When I got Lifebloom, my life became a lot easier. During trash, just Rejuv, Regrowth and the odd Swiftmend was enough. During bosses, Slow Rolling LB, and keeping Rejuv and Regrowth on the target was enough. Again, Wild Growth was used a minor number of times, and a Rejuv was enough to heal the over-aggroers. During the Crypts, our warrior tank quit at he 2nd boss after getting a drop. We managed to complete the instance with a Dinosaur pet from a level 66 Hunter. Yet again, during the last fight, 3x LB, Regrowth and Rejuv did the job. I use the Rejuvenation glyph and Swiftmend glyph. Although, I am finding that the Rejuv glyph is pretty useless, since you are always over healing. I think it might be better at 80, but could be classed as a PvP glyph.

I have to agree with the overhealing though. Just keep them topped up, otherwise, 1 or 2 crits could see them dead.

17. Kieran
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

*Warrior left at 1st boss of Crypts, sorry. xD

18. Verdantazia
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Thanx for the info Maaya about Grid. Should I ever get to do raids with my druid, i’ll undoubtedly have to get it, along with a lot of other mods.

I don’t know if my experience is typical or atypical – I’m sure most people who are leveling characters are in guilds, and can get run-throughs with 80’s. I don’t usually have that option, so my experience reflects random assortments of people in random gear doing instances as they were designed to be done – groups of five, use of tactics, having to know boss fights, etc.

Last night, I did arcane prison instance in Dalaran for the first time. A very good PUG, everyone knew what they were doing, good gear, and I applied my rotations as normal, no one even got close to being even wounded, and I got compliments for my healing, as did the tank for her aggro control.

The one skill I didn’t have to use was Tranquility (first time for that), and I think that’s a reflection of the quailty of the group. BUT I still stand by it being a vital skill. Why? Because it’s irreplaceable at this level. I can heal all five of us, completely, with no aggro, and it invariable “saves the day”.

I don’t have an ego about having to use an “oh noes” skill. I don’t think any less of myself as a healer for having to use it, nor is it my place to dictate the skill/equipment of randome people I play with. I want whatever I can get to keep people alive. :D

19. Siobhann
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

I don’t agree with a lot of this post. I played resto through BC and feel like I know the class pretty well. I didn’t get run-throughs with 80s, as I leveled my druid first. I healed a lot of the normal instances for XP and quests.

Spirit is not just for raiding. Part of the rough time you had in UK was low spellpower, and spirit converts to spellpower from Improved ToL. With Intensity and Living Spirit, it is our main regen stat. One thing to keep in mind is that around level 77-80, the spirit regen formula changes, and at that point you may want to look for some gear with MP5 to boost your regen.

Stacking stamina for when the tank fails is not going to make you a better healer. All you do is gimp your HoTs that could have ticked for a little more had you worn more spirit or spellpower. Be sure you’re specced for 3/3 subtlety and put Shadowmeld within easy reach. As for avoiding aggro, it is the tank’s job to keep mobs off you. Druids are aggro magnets because of ticking HoTs but that just means you have to be sure to find a good tank.

WG is not a HoT to roll. The ticks are only 1-second and diminish with time, making it fantastic to cast immediately AFTER damage. What you should be rolling on the party is longer-lasting Rejuvs and single Lifeblooms for the little burst. Don’t forget Regrowth either, since it lasts so long.

I also don’t agree that GHT is an absolute necessity. Regrowth is only 0.5 seconds longer, has more crit, and the glyph makes it a very nice tank heal. I didn’t glyph HT when I leveled and I didn’t particularly feel like I needed a flash heal other than Regrowth. Of course, I knew my Regrowth button well after using it so liberally in BT.

Hope some of this helps, and I’ll wave to you if I ever see you in Dalaran since I’m on Silver Hand too.

20. Amellais
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t going to comment but this post got me to thinking. I am leveling a druid because I like the idea of its flexiblity. Resto is where I’m headed cause I love healing. I have a main holy paladin I have given up for my leveling druid I love this class so much even at this point. On top of it all I’m and information-aholic, I read everything I can find.

Which leads me to my problem with what your article is saying. Everywhere I look and read it says druids are THE pro-active healing class. All others are pretty much reactive, though priest and shammies do have a hot. Which means that you should be preparing for the damage coming not trying to make up for that which has happened. If it really is a nasty spike you have Swiftmend.

You say that without the glyph you see your tank get dangerously low before your Healing Touch can go off. But what if you didnt do anything? Would all of your HOTs ticking have brought him back up anyway?

I guess what I’m getting at is that druids arent like anyother healing class. We dont depend on reacting to damage after its happened with a ‘flash heal’. We see it coming and prepare for it so it doesnt look like it ever happened. It can be hard to come from a reactive class and be able to trust that our HOTs will do there job.

Now all that said I dont have a lot of experience yet with actually healing and a lot of what I have said is from theory. But I believe that this is the basis of how we should look at the druid class and may be the underlying problem the OP see with there groups taking so much damage and the need for the glyphed Healing Touch.

Just my two cents

21. Verdantazia
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Well. I’ve played a Priest since the day the game began, and to be honest, it’s always good to be proactive as a healer, no matter what your particular class.
    Before they developed a flash heal for Priests, everything was Lesser, Healing, and Greater Healing, and you had to know which to use (and what level) when. As it was, Greater Healing was the most used spell for tanks in boss fights, but it had a ginourmous casting time. So, you had to start the casting long before the damage came, which is pro-active because I had to actually anticipate the damage by watching/knowing the fight.
    For me, the shift in playing a druid has been to have lots of HoTs up and casting them all the time, in a rotation, rather than just spamming one big heal on the tank.
    As for your question about glyphed HT – I came to the realization I *had to have a flash heal of some sort, precisly because my HoTs weren’t cutting it (given the particulars of the gear, skills, character levels involved) and HT is too long to cast on its own, Regrowth’s lump sum amount is too low (because half its power is a HoT), and Swiftmend is too small a heal (esp on a good tank with tons of HP’s) and also has a long cooldown. We kept dying. I needed something I could use very quickly that would heal for a lot (at one time), and use as much or as often as I needed/wanted.
    The problem is, HoT’s just take too long to mitigate extreme spike damage. And once you lose yourself or the tank, that’s often a wipe.
    Like you, I read everything I could about how to heal as a druid, but all the guides and info were either for, or by, 80 raiders, meaning their advice was either theorycraft or appropriate for their place in the game, but inappropriate for mine.
    I was further confused, becase for the traditional instances in Azeroth, just usuing HoTs really was enough, and I was sort of lulled into an artifical sense of security.
    So, I had to find a way to heal in 5 mans that actually worked every single time, for any group I may be healing for. Once I let go of the idea that I should be mana and healing effecient, ie only using HoTs, and being as spare as I could with my heals as possible, everything changed. For the better.
    Now i’m extremely pro-active, overheal wantonly, use all my HoTs in their rotation, flash heal as needed and in short, work just as hard as I did/do on my Priest. And the result, as I mentioned, is success. Since the changes, I have yet to wipe in a group where I’m the healer.
    *shrug. Don’t know what else I can say.

Posted November 20, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I think glyphed Healing Touch is a really great tool for leveling healing. We did it all okay back before the glyph was put in the game, and we should still be using HOTs, but it’s probably the best glyph for low level healing.

Also, everyone is going to have slightly different leveling healing experiences, so things are going to be different for various people. I don’t think there’s one “right” way to do something. That’s what is so great about this game.