Okay, so the shared topic on Blog Azeroth is asking about what we think are the best changes that have happened to WoW in the last 5 years. Since I’ve been playing my druid for almost all 5 of those years (except for the couple months when I got frustrated by tree healing in BC), I thought I would make my post totally druid-centric. You can see the posts from other people on the Twisted Nether site, since I’m posting this a little too late…
Sometimes, we get so caught up in what is still wrong with a class, that we forget how far we’ve come. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, and the 5 year anniversary, here is my list of: Thank Elune they fixed that, Druid edition!
- The most obvious thing they did that helped druids was the dual spec feature. It’s not a coincidence that one of GC’s first teaser posts about dual specs was in the Druid Beta forums. All druids can benefit from dual specs. We can now specialize in 2 of our 4 roles – or have different pvp/pve specs, or have super specialized specs within one role. Healing druids can now spec moonkin or cat for soloing; feral can now go bear/cat for switching between roles in raids.
This was a huge bonus, but it’s actually not the best thing that happened to druids, so here’s the little things that made a huge difference:
- Innervate became trainable. Back in Vanilla WoW, innervate was a restoration talent. All druids were required to spec for it. Making innervate trainable allowed druids to have more spec flexibility. Even after the 1.8 talent revamp, it took a while to convince them that innervate was necessary for all druid specs to have.
- Making all 4 specs raid viable. Back in the Molten Core raiding days, there was only one spec, and that was restoration. That meant there was also only one role: Healing. When we got our 1.8 talent revamp, they made feral & balance better, but it took two expansions to get us to where we are today: accepted as melee DPS, Caster DPS, tanking or healing.
- Some newer abilities that I’m thankful for: Giving bear & cat Mangle. Giving resto druids lifebloom & nourish. Giving balance druids moonkin form. Making tree not have a 50% speed debuff.
- Feral cat & bear graphic revamps. For as much as people complain about the new forms, they are really so much better than the old ones.
- Feral range bug: People don’t complain about the feral range bug as much as they used to. WotLK came with some fixes that made the range bug more bearable, though they never really completely fixed it.
- Giving up on the melee moonkin design, and letting us regen mana from spell crits.
- Putting a mailbox in moonglade.
- Giving us instant-cast flight form & epic flight form speed.
What Blizzard design changes are you thankful for?