So, my guild killed Sarufang fine with two 10-man groups over the weekend, but we never got a night of attempts last week because of disconnect problems and other things that pretty much wiped out the equivalent of a whole night of raiding.
So, today was our first attempt on 25-man. We had about 15 people standing at range (Ranged DPS & healers) and about 10 people in melee range (tanks & melee DPS).
We started out trying to do a standard “misdirect to the moonkin” strategy, which seemed to go horribly because the moonkin NEVER had aggro on anything. I’m not sure why, but most of the time, the adds just ran around all over the palace and was not as neat & organized as the strategy guides everywhere said it should be. Hunter’s Miss Direct to the kiting target should be using multishot (to get initial aggro on them) and distracting shot (for the focus target) the adds to the target. Rogues TOT can also be used to generate threat for the ranged group. However, using rogues is more risky because adds on the melee are bad.
So, we tried switching to this new strategy that I’m going to describe below. I’m going to say now that it’s not a conventional strategy, and that I usually NEVER write strategy guides. We also haven’t killed the boss yet with this, but I needed to draw pictures to explain what I was trying to say over vent.
Conspiracy’s Righteous Fury Strategy for 25-man Sarufang:
First, we have a healing paladin with Righteous Fury standing in the middle of the ranged groups. Then, we have ranged with knockbacks (moonkin, elemental shaman, mages) close enough to knock things back. With a line of hunter traps & earthbind totems to slow the mobs down, the mobs shouldn’t (in theory) reach the healing paladin all that often.
Here’s what the room setup looks like:
- The room is sliced up into “pie pieces”. Ranged is put into pairs of 2 people who stand on top of eachother.
- Each pair of ranged/healers stands in their own pie piece and the pair stays > 12 yards away from other pairs as much as possible. You can move anywhere in your pie slice (forwards & back), but as much as possible, avoid moving into other people’s pie slices.
- In the figure below, the Red is the boss & melee & tanks.
- The Pink circles are where healers stand. The middle pink circle is where the RF pally Threat Target stands.
- The green circles are where Ranged DPS with knockback stands, so they’re close to the RF pally target.
- The blue circles are other DPS pairs, still close enough to reach the adds.
The Add Phases:
- Pally healer with RF is the focus of threat generation, and only moves when he has to move to avoid the adds.
- Melee & tanks stay on the boss & avoid using any AOE abilities when the adds are on the platform with them.
- Ranged DPS needs to focus target off the person assigned to be the assist target. Ranged DPS needs to ONLY use single-target damage abilities, as otherwise you are pulling aggro off the intended targets. The adds are also resistant to AOE damage, so your AOE won’t do as much damage as your single-target spells do. You can also stun, root, or otherwise help with locking the adds in place so they aren’t running around.
- Ranged DPS should make a focus macro or something if you need to. Here are helpful commands:
To set someone as the focus:
To attack that person’s target the command is:
Picture 2: Add focusing Picture
- The Blue square in the middle is where all the frost traps & earthbind totems should be focused on slowing the adds.
- The pink Circle is where the RF pally target will start. Hunters can Miss-direct to the pally target.
- The green circle knockback groups can bounce things away from the pally target. They may need to (one at a time) move between the pally & the adds if their knockback is shorter ranged to target them, but then they need to move back to the green circles.
I’m not recommending that every raid group try this, but it seems to be working better for us, and I wanted to write this out to make it easier for my guild & raid leaders & everyone else to “get”. We should (hopefully) have the boss down Thursday night & I’ll edit this with changes or adjustments we make as things go along. If you guys have suggestions, feel free to post comments.