My new alt: Shadow Priest

So, I consider myself more of a specialist. My focus of everything that I do is my druid. However, while I was rewarded in Vanilla and Burning Crusade for being a specialist, Wrath instead rewards generalists.

My boyfriend wins out in WotLK because he has 10 alts. The dungeon system rewards having multiple characters, since you can benefit from the gear rewards better by splitting loot across multiple characters (some of whom actually need the blues & greens from heroic dungeons), rather than just picking up badges on a raid-decked-out main.

So, I got bored after 3.3 came out because I only have one character that I focus on. So, I spent some more time focusing on my shaman – I got a set of healing gear, a set of enhancement melee gear, and I even did the holiday achievements. However, this still isn’t enough – especially since my druid hasn’t been able to raid more than once a week over the holidays. So, the last couple weeks, I’ve been rather bored on my druid, since I ran out of interesting non-raiding things to do, besides my one random heroic that gives me frost badges.

So, to cure this Christmas Break boredom, I started a new character. I know I said a couple posts ago that I wasn’t going to start a new non-druid character, but I ran out of other things to do. I decided to start a priest because I wanted to try to learn more about another healing class, and first hand experience is the best way to do it.

My priest is Annalis on Elune, and is a Draenei priest, so that I could play in the newer starting zone.

When I hit level 6, I ran to Azure Watch and picked up all my pets & heirloom items (cloth chest & shoulders, PvP staff, spell power trinket). At level 15, I started running the “random classic” dungeons. At level 15 and 16, the random dungeon is always Ragefire Chasm. My shadow spec’d priest can still heal that dungeon, since no one takes that much damage. I’m currently level 16.

One thing that leveling a priest does is that it allows me to talk to low level druids from my battle group when I’m in the random dungeons, so I can see what low level characters are actually doing. This ends up being good research for my leveling guide, since it helps me see what things tend to confuse low level characters that I’m playing with in the dungeon. I’m not sure how long I’ll keep playing this priest, but the cloth heirlooms will transfer okay to another character if I decide to stop leveling it. If I keep going, I’ll probably post more about my alt’s leveling experiences – between raiding guides, so that I don’t come across as disconnected from the leveling advice that I give people.

It’s actually more fun than I thought it was going to be, since the random dungeon feature is actually really nice at lower levels.

This entry was posted in Leveling, Priest. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Nayethor
    Posted January 2, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

sounds great and I’d really enjoy a couple storied about your shadow priests

2. Posted January 2, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

That’s quite odd. My main is a druid, my primary alt is a shaman, but I was bored with both over Christmas vacation, so I made a shadow priest. What are the odds?

Once you get past level 20, shadow priests are quite fun to solo. Until then, stick to healing in the dungeons. Priests from 1-20 are almost as bad and boring as druids from 1-20.

Posted January 3, 2010 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Ardol – Awesome

4. Posted January 3, 2010 at 1:00 am | Permalink

Just curious, why the PVP staff if you’re planning on healing? Isn’t the emblem staff better (and for priest, too) with spirit?

For the dungeon rewards, I think it really depends on what your goals are. For someone who sells Primordial Saronite, the more alts the better, because the goal is to gather money and you’re earning those frost emblems in parallel. But for someone whose goal is to raid, each of your raiding character is still capped by the same limits, and getting loot on one character is of no help to another.

And when I play alts, I like to go for alts of a different role. Tanking, healing, DPS. Going cross-discipline helps, too, I believe.

Posted January 3, 2010 at 1:32 am | Permalink

I ran out of emblems, and I’m still soloing as shadow. It’s just a lot easier in groups to be healing. That, and I plan to re-use all the gear for my druid leveling in Cataclysm. When I posted about heirlooms a while back, someone recommended that I try out the PvP staff because they thought the hit rating was really helpful – so I wanted to try it out (and I had nothing else worth buying with the PvP emblems in the first place). The int on the other staff would be more helpful, and I’ll probably get it if I stick with this character & then I can swap weapons between soloing & instancing.

6. Posted January 3, 2010 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Actually that was me. My warlock used the PVP staff from 1 to I think 33-35, when I finally had to dump points into hit talents, then I swapped to the emblem staff. But I still put on the PVP staff for the hit when I need it. Like when doing Maraudon at level 41. :(

If I could skip the hit talents completely, I’d use the PVP staff to 80, though. And warlocks have nothing else to do except kill stuff. I wouldn’t have recommended the PVP staff for someone planning to heal their way to 80, though.

And wasn’t there some blue posting about not letting the heirlooms scale over 80? I think it’s logical that they don’t want people pre-farming gear like that. I’m guessing all the heirlooms will stop scaling until the first or second content patch in Cataclysm, so we’d most likely be replacing those sub-245 gear with quested greens again.

7. Posted January 3, 2010 at 6:07 am | Permalink

I, too, ran out of interesting things to do with my main and my alt level 80s during my raiding break.

My little Mage is currently level 25 and it’s so strange getting used to which abilities you gain access to early – like knowing you only have pieces of the puzzle.

The Shadow Priest is definitely a character that is unlocked through talents, not just levels. Until you can talent into Mind Flay, Vampiric Embrace and Shadowform it just doesn’t feel right.

Posted January 3, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I’m pre-farming for my level 1 Worgen that I’m going to start. Since Cataclysm is changing druid leveling so much, I’m planning to re-roll another druid and level up a Worgen one so I can see the new content. I’m basically preparing for the rewrite of my leveling guide by planning to test things along the way. By the time Cata comes out, I’ll probably have full sets of all the leather & cloth, PvP & PvE heirlooms just ’cause I have nothing else worthwhile to spend those lower tier badges on, anyway. The ICC epics are going to have better stats than the heirlooms for leveling my 80 to 85.

9. a
    Posted January 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I’m curious what’s in that bag of rewards you get when you run a random dungeon ??

thx :)

Posted January 3, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

The bag has a piece of gear that is your armor type (ie. cloth for my priest). The item is bind on pickup, but it means that at least one run, you get something out of it that might be useful.

11. Posted January 4, 2010 at 1:29 am | Permalink

The bag is very useful pre-outlands. Depending on the level range of the dungeon you complete, you get a randomly prefixed rare item of particular slots. As you progress through the levels, you’ll be getting items of item-level 25, 35, 45, 55.

I think I’ve gotten good items for neck, shoulders, wrists, gloves, waist, feet, and rings.

But when you enter Outlands, the bag of useful goods don’t scale to Outlands item level, so you’ll be wearing item level 80+ quested greens while the bag will still give item level 60 rares, basically vendor/disenchant trash.

So they become a bag of useless goods.

12. Treeboi
    Posted January 4, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I leveled up all my bank toons, to at least level 10, and my experience is that haste is overpowered as a stat.

Put haste on your gloves, use two heirloom haste trinkets, add a fast heirloom 1h weapon with fiery or a 2h weapon with counterweight, and you’ll just destroy stuff. Even if you are a caster.

You won’t even notice a small spell power increase, from double spell power trinkets, but you will definitely notice a small haste increase, as 1 haste rating = 2.6% haste from level 1 to level 10.

13. Posted January 7, 2010 at 8:45 am | Permalink

OMG, Lissanna! I have an alt Shadow Priest!

He actually dinged 80 three weeks ago and is now, after three full gameplay periods, is now fully geared in 232 epics. I love playing a shadow priest, it’s a LOT of fun, which is actuallly why he ended up making it all the way to 80 where my other lowbies are stagnant in the upper 20s, lower 30s.

I HEART mind flay. And if you PVP with it, you’ll notice that in the 40s bracket in particular, Shadow Priests are the PWN!

Have fun with it!