Possible small moonkin buff on the radar

So, Zarhym slipped into one of the Damage Dealing forums moonkin posts to let us know that they are considering a small damage buff for the struggling moonkin. This would come in one of their 3.3.x mini-patches.

It is NOT a buff to Eclipse that they are considering (thank Elune). Instead, it is a buff to the personal damage gained from Earth & Moon. Here is the good news & the bad news (bad news first?):

Keep in mind that we tend to make much smaller adjustments during a minor patch cycle due to the limited amount of testing time we’re allotted before applying such patches. For this reason you’re not likely to see any major Balance druid changes coming in the next minor patch.

With that being said, one small change we have in the pipeline will double the passive effectiveness of Earth and Moon so that it provides a flat 2/4/6% spell damage increase, up from 1/2/3%. As an obligatory warning, this is subject to change prior to the next minor patch going live.

This would give us moonkin a small damage boost. Nothing major, but just a minor tweak that should scale well (since it’s not in the form of haste, crit, or a random proc). At this point, I’m happy to see any changes at all. I wanted to bring attention to this, especially to give moonkin out there who don’t read the forums at least some small glimmer of hope for changes before Cataclysm to help our ICC PvE damage dealing abilities… and also to say thanks for thinking of us boomkin & giving us some hope for small buffs before Cataclysm.

1. Posted January 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I’m very greatful for this buff and it’s encouraging to see that we are being given attention

A part of me is hoping we’ll get another minor adjustment in addition to this buff; I’m curious as to how much it’ll effect our DPS(math isn’t my strong point). Thanks for the heads up!

Posted January 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

in this case, it seems that it’s 3%. :)

(or… 2.91, lol).

3. Posted January 15, 2010 at 2:00 am | Permalink

Thanks for the link and info. :)

In your opinion, how significant do you think that buff is?

4. Singetsu
    Posted January 15, 2010 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Tbh, this buff is the best possible outcome we could have got atm.
    As they have said they dont implement big changes to a class on minor patch’s so to get anything is nice, but like Lissanna has shown from an EJ thread this actually isn’t even a 3% buff just under it.

But tbh even with that taken into hand its a good change seeing as we are not having a change to haste or crit from other talents which would cause problems with rotation problems again.

But to say that this change will bring us back into fighting position with other class’s is a bit of a joke, at one point a Boomkin was nvr seen in a raid. Then slowly they got in because of the great buffs they braught, now it seems every other class covers these buffs so boomkins are becoming less and less of a choice in raids.
    Tbh i cant wait for cataclysm hopefully they will make boomkins more fun again (all be it with random procs) cause as it stands our random procs from eclipse are the only things keeping our dmg up and once eclipse is on cd or we are forced to move during it too much the only benefit we have slowly disapears into the buff void ^^.

Saying this though this change is welcomed if it happens, and if not then i think i made a good decision to stop raiding for the time being. (Not fun seeing urself quite low on dmg mtrs ^^)

Posted January 15, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Feels more like a handout than anything else. Isn’t going to change much, but should help a little.

6. Posted January 15, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

It does frustrate me a bit because back in TBC I heard a lot of “it’ll be fixed in WotLK” and more than a year later we still have very significant issues.

The more I read into it the more I realize we still need a bit more tweaking before we’re at respectable levels of DPS.

My guild already told me that they won’t ever sit me out. I’d hate to be in a worse situation where being benched for fights like Festergut becomes a real threat.

Posted January 15, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

They fixed a lot between BC & WotLK. It used to be so much worse.

8. Raykendar
    Posted January 28, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I wouldnt look for Boomers to ever equal other classes at the top of the DPS meters, thats just not what Boomers are made for. We are the Jack of all trades and the master to none so to speak.
    The classes right now that throw insane DPS, the locks, arcane mages and the rogues are straight DPS’ers. We aren’t, we can whoop some arse and throws some solid heals along with providing the buff from time to time. If you want to be higher DPS as a druid ya need to consider feral, my kitty throws a ton but is not nearly as much fun as My Boomer. So imo any additional buff or bonus dmg we can get is a good thing.