Lets face it. Having two different sizes of raids is going to be a complete pain in the neck for Blizzard to balance in Cataclysm. It’s going to be an even bigger pain in the neck for guild officers or PUG raid leaders who have to sift through an unforgiving & horrible recruitment system to fill their raids. Even with possible improvements for recruitment, 2 raid sizes are just not a good idea. Segregation of raiders into 10 & 25-mans is never going to work right, and is always going to be plagued with problems (and it’s going to be the players who suffer for Blizzard’s huge mistakes). It’s still early enough in development for them to scrap 10’s & 25’s altogether. What they should do is just have one raid size: 15-mans.
Why should we have only 15-man raids? Well, because it will be better for the game.
- 25 is really just a pain in the neck to lead & organize, even though it has a great larger-scale feel. Especially with not having any real significant rewards to convince players to join 25-man raiding guilds in Cata, there is really no point to keeping 25-mans alive. They are just going to die a slow & painful death, at the expense of polarizing the community and creating problems that the game will never recover from.
- 10-mans are equally hard to organize, but easier to lead. Keeping up the perfect roster for 10-mans is really not that much better than 25’s, because your ratio of raiders to backups has to be more skewed (ie. you need to bench at least 1 tank, DPS, & healer every week as backup replacements, or if 2 people leave the guild it’s a big deal).
- 10-mans don’t have an epic enough feel to keep the whole player-base happy, which is really the only reason why they want to keep around 25-mans. In addition, 10-man raids promote class homogenization, in a way that 15-mans don’t have to (because in 15’s, it’s easier to have 1 of each class, with room for a couple doubles).
- Keeping 2 raid sizes in Cata is a huge mistake, because they are going to be impossible to balance right, and make recruitment harder for both sizes of raids.
- A raid size of 15 allows more DPS into the ranks, so that you can have something like: 2 tanks, 3 heals, & 10 DPS. It keeps a happier tank-heal-DPS ratio, and will prevent having wide-spread tank & healer shortages compared to having most guilds trying to recruit tanks & healers for their 10-mans after all but the most hard-core 25’s implode and disband in Cata.
Please, Blizzard. Separate but equal raids will not work. I really don’t want to have to waste an entire new expansion on an experiment that I have already predicted failure for. Separate but equal 10’s & 25’s running simultaneously is a horrible idea, and I would rather lose both sizes for the sake of keeping the player base from tearing each other apart in the long run. Adopting one raid size (15-man) is really something that will allow everyone to win, because it will reduce the amount of frustration & burn-out in the community by not spreading recruitment too thin between the various types of raiding guilds. Homogenize raid size, and reduce the homogenization of everything else in the game. As someone who still misses 40-man raids, this is something I’m willing to support, just so that the game can come out stronger and not have so much competition & segregation between factions of different types of raiders.
Once again, Separate but equal isn’t going to work. Blizzard needs to pick one raid size & stick with it, with 15 being the best compromise number.