Cataclysm Beta info – Under Construction

I am working on a set of pages that will have Cataclysm Beta testing info. So far, I have finished a page on resto spell testing, showing cast times and amount healed without gear at level 82.

I also have a new page up with moonkin spell info and How the new Eclipse works!

Keep an eye on Restokin, as I will be adding more Beta info over the next couple days! Here’s the planned table of contents.

I have also started Ask a Beta Tester on the druid forums.

ALSO: If you receive an e-mail about Cataclysm Beta, please do not click on any links contained in the e-mail. Instead, go straight to your battle.net account information page and CHECK to see if the Beta client info shows up there. If you do not see the beta account added to your battle.net account, it is like a scam. There is no code to enter this year. It will look like this:

1. Verdus
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Wow, they’re really doing their damnedest to kill HoTs, aren’t they? Rejuv costs FOUR TIMES what Nourish does? Wild Growth costs ten times more? The base healing amounts seem to leave a lot to be desired, too. There had better be some serious spellpower scaling going on under the covers. If not, or unless things change, I don’t see much of a case for using HoTs ever again. The only possible exception I can see is Lifebloom, and that’s just to buff and be refreshed by Nourish.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

When I have time, I’ll go back through and test what the #’s are with full gear. It’s just easier (ie. more standardized) to do naked testing.

Nourish is supposed to be our “mana efficient” long-cast heal, but we’re going to require a HOT on the target to make it worthwhile. Regrowth HOTs are likely going to be on people, since Effloresence is so nice, and it’s our expensive “flash heal”. Keep in mind that HOTs can crit and scale with haste, and norish will have a direct heal component through talents. Naked #’s look low because spell power matters so much. I’ll have “with gear” numbers soon.

I also now have the problem of having to re-test every single mechanic every build… lol. I think they want us to use HOTs, but I think we’re still heavily “under construction”, so that right now it’s hard to have a clear full picture.

3. Hamlet
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Hey Lissanna–are you going to be testing spell coefficients anytime soon? I know it’s a bit of grunt work, but I don’t have an invite yet and they’re the biggest major bit of unknown information (I’ll have to start actively poking people if I don’t get one in the first round).

I’ve started collecting Moonkin theorycraft info here:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t102079-cataclysm_balance_theorycraft_spreadsheet_thread/#post1688568 , if you want to compare notes on anything.

4. Hamlet
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

By the way, can you confirm what you wrote: Wrath 2.5s after Starlight Wrath? At end of alpha it was 2.5 untalented.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

That’s a typo… wrath & starsurge are 2 seconds after talents, and starfire is 2.5. I’m not sure how I screwed up all the cast times.

I can get you spell #’s for moonkin sometime “soon”.

6. Hamlet
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Wait, Starfire is 2.5 now? I hadn’t heard of that being changed from live.

Posted July 1, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

the haste mastery is messing up my #’s… let me switch to resto & get their “true” base cast times instead of estimating what the #’s would be without the haste mastery reduction…

with all my gear & mastery, the #’s end up being screwy, and even when I take gear off, my haste is already high. It’s been a long day… I’ve spent 4 or 5 hours working on pulling out data from testing on the Beta server, so my brain has melted…

8. Hamlet
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

It’s ok it’s ok, I’m pretty sure the base cast times are 3.5 and 2.5 :P .

What would really be nice though, if you already have an 82 Druid carried over from alpha, if you could post untalented tooltip damage ranges for all our spells at L82 :P .

Posted July 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I’ll go unlearn my talents and then try really hard to copy down the #’s without screwing up. Tooltips are scaling with gear now, though, so the best I can do is numbers with 150 spell power…

I can do with & without talents, and with & without gear if you want (I have a “naked” set of gear in my testing druid’s equipment manager).

10. Hamlet
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Pretty much any data you can give is great, as long as you’re very clear to record things that might affect each entry (level/talents (esp. Earth and Moon)/Mastery/spellpower/form (may as well not be in Moonkin Form)). In particular, Solar Beam/Starfall/Starsurge/Typhoon can’t be accessed without talents so we’ll have to backsolve a little.

If you want to take this up via email instead you can use the address I’ve talked to you from before.

[Insert obligatory comment about trusting psychology PhD to record everything with proper scientific rigor ;) ]

Posted July 1, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I posted in the EJ thread the tooltip #’s for moonfire, starfire, wrath, & insect swarm. They were 0 talents, with and without gear (with spell damage #’s recorded). That should give you a good start. Tooltips are scaling with gear, so it’s easy to have accurate tooltip #’s after gear for comparison. Actual spell casting testing takes about an hour to do, since I need reasonable sample sizes for things like wrath that have damage ranges, so I’m not sure I can get to that today.

12. Hamlet
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I’ll just reply over there now to keep things coherent.

13. Adsski
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Hi, I’m wondering if you have heard anything on re-itemisation on mmo champion they have a list of mined ilvl 270+ items, there is a blue staff listed as ilvl 279 equitable at lvl 78 that has 928 spell power!!!! That seems an awful lot of SP :)

14. Hamlet
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Caster weapons should have plain spellpower on them still, to give them scaling appropriate to the weapon slot. Nothing else though.

15. Hamlet
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Hey, I saw that!

Posted July 1, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

what? ;)

I didn’t want to spread miss-information….

17. Erdluf
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Lissanna, thanks for posting the numbers.

Your “resto spell testing” link shows a 2s Regrowth cast, but I’ve been hearing 1.5s (and you posted in official forums that you liked the changed regrowth cast time).

Is that 2s just force of habit? Is it really 1.5s? Thanks.

18. Sean
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks for posting all the moonkin info. I’m just amazed that you’ve got more than 38,000 HP! That’s about double what I’ve got now — they weren’t kidding when they told us to expect really big numbers!

Posted July 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Tooltip says 2 seconds right now on Beta server for regrowth. I tripple-checked. Doesn’t mean it’ll stay…