THANK YOU MIKE MORHAIME!

From: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25968987278&sid=1

Hello everyone,

I’d like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We’ve been constantly monitoring the feedback you’ve given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we’ve decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

It’s important to note that we still remain committed to improving our forums. Our efforts are driven 100% by the desire to find ways to make our community areas more welcoming for players and encourage more constructive conversations about our games. We will still move forward with new forum features such as conversation threading, the ability to rate posts up or down, improved search functionality, and more. However, when we launch the new StarCraft II forums that include these new features, you will be posting by your StarCraft II Battle.net character name + character code, not your real name. The upgraded World of Warcraft forums with these new features will launch close to the release of Cataclysm, and also will not require your real name.

I want to make sure it’s clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you’ll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature.

In closing, I want to point out that our connection with our community has always been and will always be extremely important to us. We strongly believe that Every Voice Matters, ( http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html ) and we feel fortunate to have a community that cares so passionately about our games. We will always appreciate the feedback and support of our players, which has been a key to Blizzard’s success from the beginning.

Mike Morhaime
CEO & Cofounder
Blizzard Entertainment

I will personally comment more on this at a later time once I’ve been able to digest the news. However, I wanted to post the whole thing for now so you all could see. -Lissanna

This entry was posted in Cataclysm. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Tympanic
    Posted July 9, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

/cheer

I am truly encouraged that they were willing to back off of this due to the backlash from the community. If they hadn’t, I think it would have put a serious dent in Blizzard’s reputation within the gaming community as a whole.

2. Posted July 9, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Now all we need for the good of all Blizzard games is for Blizzard to buy itself out of the deal with Activision. Activision needs Blizzard where as Blizzard does not NEED Activision, Acti. is more of a convenience for Blizzard.

3. Posted July 9, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Happy Friday!

=]

4. Posted July 9, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

/tree dance

I’m glad Blizzard listened. So very very happy.

5. Maor
    Posted July 9, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

If Blizzard tried to buy their way out of Activision Blizzard, they’d probably loose access to the Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo IPs.

And it’s not like Blizzard had a choice in the matter with Activision seeing as it was their previous parent that actually made the deal with Activision.

6. James
    Posted July 10, 2010 at 12:48 am | Permalink

This seems like a fantastic change, because (again, it seems like) it will allow posters to remain private but also allow trolls to be linked to main’s. /dance

I’m still hesitant on in game realID. I have friends who play on several servers, some friends plan on playing SC2 and I know many friends who will play D3. The concept of being able to reach any of them is great, however I don’t want realID friends of my friends to be able to see who I am. Even more than that, I worry about mods that can “fish” for your real name even if you or your friends are not friends with them (similar to the one shown on mmo-champ).

7. Posted July 10, 2010 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Well it’s good to see that when the community gets together to refuse something, that Blizzard is willing to listen and adjust accordingly. You know this isn’t always the case, but at least this time they did…and that’s awesome.

8. Posted July 10, 2010 at 3:18 am | Permalink

As for the RealID…I actually like it in game. I’m military and meet so many fellow military types that play and NEVER on the same server.

RealID allows me to keep in touch with them in game and if I so choose, hop on over to an alt to play with them (even if they’re on at off hours).

9. Posted July 11, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

While this is certainly good news, it’s got a huge “for now” feeling to it. Why? Because the TOS still states that Blizzard has the capability to use our information in conjunction with third-party sources.

I’d also recommend disabling RealID through Parental Controls; that’s the only way that you can avoid someone else running scripts and data-mining your identity. Unless, of course, it’s not a big deal.