Goodbye Idols, and good riddance!

I interrupt this dead time in Lissanna postings while she is traveling with news from MMO-Champion concerning the latest Beta Build (this post is written by Post written by Lavata/Malchome).

As the title indicates Idols are now removed from the game, they have been merged with Relics, Totems and Librams of the Death Knight, Shaman and Paladin classes under a general heading of Relics.   They now have normal itemization and fill the role of stat stick like Wands for the caster classes and ranged weapons for melee or the normal weapons slots for hunters.

I have to say this convergence is long over due.  I remember running the first boss of Shadow Labs over 70-80 times for Lissanna trying to get a stupid Idol that never did drop…..  I hate random loot sometimes, well most of the time but that is what my blog is for and not a topic for here.

Please return to your normal weekend blog reading activities.  Had this been a true emergency I would have used more inflammatory language and most likely bold text and colors.

1. Verdus
    Posted August 14, 2010 at 1:22 am | Permalink

I can understand the dislike of them when they were still random loot drops, but that hasn’t really been the case for two tiers now. I liked the individualized nature of them, myself.

2. Bailey
    Posted August 14, 2010 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Yay for stats! Now if only they did some sort of strange attack like wands/guns.

Quick question-
    1) In Cata Int=SP
    2) Talents Heart ot Wild & Furor increase Int by 12%
    3) Does this +12% Int= +12% Spellpower?

Loving all the stuff in the latest build :D
    Yay for guilds-

Posted August 15, 2010 at 1:41 am | Permalink

anything that increases INT should increase spell power. If they want to avoid spell power increases, they will instead increase a % of mana instead.

3. Nimizar
    Posted August 14, 2010 at 4:24 am | Permalink

And here I thought the “good riddance” was going to be a reference to GC’s comment about the treeform snare in your beta forum thread :)

Posted August 15, 2010 at 1:40 am | Permalink

He posted while I was traveling, so I haven’t actually been able to read/respond to it.

4. Posted August 14, 2010 at 4:47 am | Permalink

Idol of the Emerald Queen was my white whale in BC…. I actually did get it, the week before Wrath hit and we were doing Slabs in part of a nostalgia tour of the BC dungeons!

5. Tralia
    Posted August 14, 2010 at 7:34 am | Permalink

For me relic slots have always been one of those things that just never seemed to work just exactly right.

Some were awesome, some were down right horrible ( lower mana for flight form and lower mana for seals I’m looking at you) so now at least every tier you know theres an upgrade. I think this expansion has even had them. Holy Paladins have been using basically the same one since Naxx.

I did like the class specific nature of them, but really it cleans up loot tables a bit, and loot vendors and makes something much more balanceable.

I’m really hoping they add them for lower levels when they redo this thing. It stinks having to wait til 60-65 to get your first one.

6. Odem
    Posted August 14, 2010 at 9:15 am | Permalink

I always expected them to end up with primary stats, but i didn’t expect them to remove the procs for +ratings etc – that was the cool part. static procs have their pros and cons yes, and all the idols/totems/yadda had fairly generic procs true, but i think improving them woukd’ve been cooler. I’m all for retaining as much class flavour for the player as possible.

and @ Bailey, re: attacks, lol maybe they change it so we could throw them? Boomerangs anyone?

7. Hungar
    Posted August 14, 2010 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I don’t understand this part of your entry:
    “I have to say this convergence is long over due. I remember running the first boss of Shadow Labs over 70-80 times for Lissanna trying to get a stupid Idol that never did drop….. I hate random loot sometimes, well most of the time but that is what my blog is for and not a topic for here.”

On MMO champion, Idols still carry a “Druid” designation, so it isn’t as if we will be able to equip a Totem. Basically, the only convergence is that we will probably be helped by both a Balance idol and a Resto idol. As a previous poster stated, this hasn’t really been a problem since idols have been badge-purchasable, but if they were to go back to a random loot model, I don’t see the “relic” designation as being very important with class designations still attached.

• Posted August 14, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

I may have missed that part. The convergence of the items is long overdue IMO. If they are not interchangeable now I hope they are changed such as to be interchangeable like wands are for casters.

• Posted August 15, 2010 at 12:48 am | Permalink

From MMO-Champion, Cataclysm Build 12759 – Class Changes

You are looking at existing, Wrath of the Lich King, items. Those are currently only used by those classes, so there isn’t a great motivation or need to change them.

So I read extra into the design of the changes from the images and missed the class part being there but guessed correctly at where the trend was going.

8. Treeboi
    Posted August 15, 2010 at 2:48 am | Permalink

I noticed a few more spell changes too… like Soothe!

Seems like we get to dispel enrage, like hunters and rogues.

Hmmm, I wonder if this means we’ll be able to dispel certain player enrages for PvP purposes…

9. Posted August 15, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Seeing that information on mmo-champion really made for a happy Gingershnaps :)

I’ve really disliked the current implementation of idols. It was better when they put them on vendors since that reduced the RNG spin-the-wheel game. It still felt kinda bleh though having to spend your first emblems of a tier on them instead of something more exciting like tier pieces.

I wonder if they’ll put them back in as drops since nearly anyone can use them now rather than cluttering up the loot tables.

Posted August 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I’ve been raging against idol design since Burning Crusade. It made no sense that they left them individualized for 1 spell in Cata when they want us to use all our spells. I would expect to see them more as drops like wands & such now.

• Wharep
        Posted August 15, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Same. When the class specification is gone, it’ll just be wands w/o the dmg component, so I don’t see a reason for not letting them drop in raids.
        I’m pretty happy about the change tbh, even though the individual procs were kinda fun, it’s just impossible to balance and that just brings us to where we are now, where it’s basically just free sp.

10. Kaug
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 2:09 am | Permalink

They are half way there. Halfway because they are still class specific (the ones in the picture on mmo). They need to remove the class restrictions and just make a caster, healer, melee and tank relic and let them be usable by anyone with a relic spot.

11. Kaug
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 2:14 am | Permalink

nvm just visited mmo and saw this blue post

‘Cataclysm-level relics can be used by any paladin, shaman, druid or DK, though there may still be some class-specific ones from time to time. ‘