So, the highlights of Blizzcon so far (for me) has been the announcement of the Moonkin Hatchling pet as a charity pet we’ll be able to buy in November. Contains spoilers for Cataclysm & 4.1
The Class & Dungeons Panel highlights (Itallics are my commentary on the panel):
- “Classic Heroics (Deadmines & shadowfang Keep) have new quests and encounters” I haven’t played with these on beta, but I hear that they’re really fun.
- “With quests you pick up from inside the dungeon.“ I did test some of the other beta dungeons, and was pleasantly surprised to see the quest givers greeting me when I first entered a dungeon portal. Being able to pick up the quests right inside the dungeon is so much better than running around everywhere to find the quests before you get in there.
- “Normal difficulty also updated!“
- They also worked on other classic dungeons to make them “less confusing & shorter”.
- Both Sunken Temple & Wailing Caverns will actually just be shorter dungeons, and Mara & Uldaman will have wings. This is a really awesome set of changes, which will be a HUGE bonus for people leveling who just can’t stand those 4 dungeons. Also, Sunken Eternity’s design was something I was REALLY hoping they would revamp. I wrote a post about their need to fix Sunken Eternity back in 2009.
New Cataclysm raids:
- “Bite sized chunks” - They have raids on the Beta server for testing where there are 3 or 4 dungeons with just a few bosses in them. It actually still feels epic, and you can bounce back and forth between them if needed.
- They explained the flexible raid lockouts, that we already have on the Live server.
- “Firelands Raid – First patch raid…. It’s a part of Hyjal”… “Home of Ragnaros. Gives you a glimpse of what the full power of Ragnaros is… fits in well with the questlines in Hyjal”
- “Firelands raid contains 7 bosses”, with the hopes that you’ll do more than 1 raid dungeon per week. So, it will feel longer than ToC’s 5 bosses, but won’t be so bulky like Ulduar or ICC. If they have more than one dungeon at that tier, it may actually be a lot of fun.
- “Abyssal Maw 5-man dungeon will be released with 4.1″. Will have 4 bosses. It’s a water-based dungeon, and they changed a lot of the water-fighting mechanics to feel better.
- Enhanced Maps “We tried desperately to get in for cataclysm”. “Want to get detailed boss info on your map, with Lore, loot, abilities”. Giving us boss abilities in the dungeon map will be really awesome, because it will give you the basic info that you need without having to rely on websites to tell you that the boss will breathe a fire effect. I’ve spent so much time tabbing out of the dungeon to see specifics on a boss ability, so it will be super awesome to have the basic abilities listed inside the game.
- They showed the elevator boss in blackwing Descent. This elevator boss is going to PWN you all, lol. They previewed the other bosses from the raid dungeons they’re shipping with Cata.
Q & A session:
- 10 & 25-man balance: “there will be some bumps and bruises along the way“… “It will be something we work extremely hard on to make sure they are balanced as close as we can“
- “You’re going to see a better PUG experience”… “You’re not going to be hosed for the entire week… It’s easier to break up, but it’s easier to get new people”
- BRD: “Trimming a lot of the suck”. “Breaking apart BRD is actually really hard, so what I did do is put in some teleporters”. “we added deleporters to other dungeons, too”. “The graveyards are super close now.” Mike says he’s been bitching about how far we’ve had to run back to dungeons for years. This is nice to see, as well. I guess people who love BRD will get to keep that feel, because it doesn’t look like they are changing it quite as much as some of the other dungeons.
People asked other good questions with answers, but nothing else really super big. I’ll be posting more about the Quest & Lore panel coming up soon! (EDIT: the quest & lore panel is just Q&A without much going on for now, so I might not do a full post for it.