Resto druid 4.0.1 healing guide is ready!

So, with MMO-champion’s latest PTR patch notes not listing any resto druid talent changes, I’m now posting the draft that I have for the 4.0.1 healing guide. I put in some talent links, but overall this is guide is very low on links because links always manage to change & break by patch day, and the forum version of the guide can’t have any embedded links at all.

So, you can now find a direct link to the 4.0.1 healing guide on the top right hand side of the menu options, or you can see the table of contents  by clicking here.

I changed the guide, since you no longer need a page on Nourish or lifebloom anymore due to the changes to how the spells work, and this time I made really super generic link names so that I wouldn’t have to change them for future builds (since even the 4.0.3 build is likely going to have a different layout). There are still seven separate pages, with pages 1 & 2 talking about changes to our spells, page 3 talking about general healing advice, page 4 relates to talents, and the remaining pages talk about glyphs, gearing, gems, etc.

It is still in a fairly rough draft format (so there are still some things I need to finish), but I wanted to release the blog version before the forum version. Since you can’t post comments on the individual pages, please leave all feedback here (related to things I got wrong, typos, suggestions for improvements, etc). I’ll keep updating it as we get closer to release day.

When 4.0.1 hits, I will be taking down the 3.3 healing guide, and the old guide will simply contain links that direct you to the new guide’s location.

So, now all my resto readers should be ready for patch day!

1. ricree
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

First of all, thank you for the guide. I’ve been reading up on the changes a fair amount, but it’s nice to have the key points all in one place.

I have one quick question about the new tranquility. Do the targets switch each tick, or does it keep healing the original 5 people for the entire duration?

Posted October 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

I haven’t been able to try it in a raid situation yet, but I would assume it would pick 5 people and heal them for the whole duration. It will now pick people outside of your 5-man group (and it heals for a ton) so it’s more useful now.

2. Erdluf
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Excellent guide, and much easier to understand now that we don’t have half a dozen or so Lifebloom strategies.

Editorial nitpick, on the last line of page 4, change “resto” to “balance”, where you are talking about moonglow/genesis.

Posted October 6, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Fixed my typo, thanks! They actually greatly simplified the strategies that I have to type out at this point, lol.

3. Adsski
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 4:30 am | Permalink

Thanks for the great guide it’s so useful to have it laid out so clearly.

I’ve been hearing a lot about how mana is going be be much tighter come cataclysm and wondered if you had any thought’s on whether I should swap out my trinkets for ones more focussed on regen.

I was planning on using purified lunar dust anyway but wondering what to pair it with, maybe dig out the old majestic dragon figurine, snowflake or maybe just maybe old darkmoon card blue dragon could be the ace in the pack given the new rules?

Posted October 7, 2010 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Regen shouldn’t be a problem until level 83 to 85, since they are creating the mana problems by having our base mana (and thus spell costs) increase by A LOT as we level past 80 (so, your regen shouldn’t be a problem at 80). Some of the current trinkets change into different stats due to stat changes (especially things that used to have spell power on them, but even one of my crit trinkets changed to int on my moonkin). So, after the patch hits, you can look at your set of trinkets and decide what would be the best for you.

4. qwweer
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Part 4. Resto talents.
    When you write about Nature’s Majesty, you mention that revitalize procs from crit.
    Part 6. Resto stats and gear
    Same here when you write about crit.
    This seems to be written for one of the earlier Beta builds when that was true. Now revitalize is a static percent and does not benefit from crit.

Posted October 7, 2010 at 9:51 am | Permalink

I didn’t even realize that changed. Wonder what build that was in, lol.

• qwweer
        Posted October 7, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Build 12857

Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Oh wow. that was a while ago. I guess I missed that one. Good catch!

5. Matt
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks very much for the great guide, I’ve been following the beta/4.0x news pretty closely and still found it to be quite helpful. One thing — the talent links are not working for me in either IE8 or Firefox. Maybe they changed something on the wowtal.com site?

Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

yes, the links break like weekly…

Posted October 9, 2010 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Okay, I put wowhead links back in. I know mmo-champion is changing the talent tool so I don’t want to mess with mmo-champion build links right now. I still expect the wowhead links to break on the next beta patch, though.

6. Moofius
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Could you add a section on what spells to use in what situations? You write about nourish being a bad choice, but what to use instead? On the PTR I tried out some healing with a (toc25-moonkin geared) resto druid and I found I could easily keep up the tank by setting up a 3 stack lifebloom and nourish healing him in a HoR hc.

Posted October 9, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Honestly, since i’m not playing on the PTR, I haven’t played in enough WotLK situations to be able to do that yet. My guide is still in draft form because it’s super hard to predict how people will play with new content.

R4HT has some advice for ICC stuff.

7. Chezza
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Patch day here already!? I’ve not been able to play in forever it seems :( Hopefully, have internet up and running in a few days or so.

Posted October 9, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

haven’t patched yet. Probably Tuesday

8. Fnordoz
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Thank you for this.

If I’m understanding things correctly, the biggest change for me will be losing my healing action bar. Does Tree form still have its own action bar? From what I’ve read, the Lifebloom spell in caster form is not the same Lifebloom spell as in Tree form, so if you put Lifebloom in a macro it doesn’t work in Tree form.

I’m also a little confused as to how the Druid mastery interacts with Lifebloom. Does it determine whether or not it gets the mastery bonus each time it’s renewed or a stack is added, or is it fixed as either the normal or bonus version when the first stack is applied?