So, on the forums, Blizzard asked for some class-related feedback, for each of the 10 classes. I plan on posting this stuff on the forums, but the blog always allows for better formatting and a chance for my many readers to see what is going on in my head, rather than having my post buried in the middle of dozens of pages of other posts. I was originally going to put both resto & moonkin in the same post, but I’m long-winded enough that I felt the need to break this into one post for each spec. At the bottom of this post, I’m also compiling links to feedback from other bloggers & theorycrafters in the community (will update as time goes on. If I missed someone important, please provide a link in comments!). A link to the forum version of this post can be found by clicking here, totally burried on page 30…
- What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
- If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
- If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
- What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
- What makes playing your class more fun?
- What makes playing your class less fun?
- How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
- What’s on your wish list for your class?
- What spells do you use the least?
Moonkin Spec Answers
- What type of content do you focus on? My focus is on PvE.
- If PvE, what type of PvE? My focus in PvE is on raiding (mostly normal-modes).
- What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? Lack of graphical character customization as a Moonkin. Moonkin is the only talent spec in the game that gains it’s graphical look changes only by paying real life $$ (race changing is the only way to change how your moonkin form looks). This is even more frustrating with transmogrification coming into the game, because moonkin can’t benefit from transmoging (other than our staff), and we can’t go to the barbershop to change our coloring the way feral druids can.
- What makes playing your class more fun? As someone who has been moonkin on and off since patch 1.8, I can say with some confidence that moonkin are more fun when we are capable of keeping up with other classes on damage. Feeling wanted in a group (having decent damage and group utility) makes being a raiding moonkin more fun. Back in Vanilla & Burning Crusade, I often found myself healing in my moonkin spec because I refused to go resto but they still made me heal.
- What makes playing your class less fun? Moonkin isn’t fun when Eclipse is too hard to control. I actually took Lunar Shower out of my talent spec because I found that sometimes I need to sit in Solar Eclipse, and having Lunar Shower runs too high of a risk of taking away my sense of control over Eclipse. Having to choose between keeping Lunar Shower for movement DPS, or having the ability to “Solar Cleave” leaves me having to choose “solar cleave” because I need the ability to have more control over when I do or don’t have Eclipse up. However, I’m pretty sure that feeling like “solar cleave” is the only viable AOE strategy is the actual real problem. Having to over-manage Eclipse to be good at my job is not fun. Most druids who follow an “intended” rotation end up with lower overall DPS than someone who finds the right way to game Eclipse for more damage, so we end up with an easy basic strategy that people learn – and that basic strategy is almost entirely the wrong thing to do.
- How do you feel about your “rotation”? Moonkin actually have two rotations, a single-target and a multi-target rotation. I believe that our single-target rotation is actually mostly fine (other than the fact that the damage difference between Eclipse being up & Eclipse being down is way too large of a gap, getting bigger every day with our mastery bonuses). However, I feel that our multi-target AOE rotation is completely broken and awful. When you are killing groups of 3 or more grouped-up targets, you are likely just using 3 abilities: Wild Mushrooms (Nature), Moonfire/Sunfire (arcane/nature), and Insect Swarm (nature). The only other actual AOE ability we have is Hurricane (Nature), which is under-utilized. See the problem here? All of these are NATURE damage, which require us to be in Solar Eclipse to utilize. Starfall doesn’t count as an AOE ability anymore, since the splash damage was removed. Being outside of Eclipse or being in Lunar Eclipse greatly lowers our AOE damage done during a fight. Thus, the “solar cleave” AOE rotation is actually the only viable AOE rotation we have. No other DPS strategy on multiple targets allow us to stay competitive in raiding. Attempts to make Solar Cleave less attractive have failed because they haven’t provided us with an alternative (the butchering of the Lunar Shower talent just raised the difficulty level of the spec for new players without having an effect on what the cutting-edge raiding moonkin do for their rotation, other than to cause a lot of us to have to move points out of Lunar Shower). Basically, playing a moonkin is fine if all we ever have to do is single-target damage, but not enough care was put into thinking about how AOE damage would work for moonkin in the Cataclysm Beta.
- What’s on your wish list for your class? Arcane AOE abilities that allow Lunar Shower to be equally as powerful for multi-target AOE (or making spells like mushrooms & hurricane “spellstorm” damage to benefit from both lunar & solar eclipse). It would also help if less of our damage was tied into Eclipse. New graphics for troll & worgen moonkin, along with color customization through the barber shop.
- What spells do you use the least? Hurricane is definitely an under-utilized spell in my DPS strategy, even for AOE targets. It just feels like I get more “bang for my buck” to use shrooms & tab-DOT. Maybe Hurricane could become spellstorm or arcane damage, and thus could provide some better AOE alternative in Lunar Eclipse?
Links to Other blogger/theorycrafter feedback posts:
- Murmurs (Tyler Caraway of wowinsider) – Moonkin post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
- Reesi (of the Inc Bear & Team Waffle) – Feral post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
- Arielle (of the Inc Bear & Team Waffle) – Feral Post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
- Beruthiel (of falling leaves & wings) – Resto Post: Resto post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
- Derwent (of Feraltree) – Resto post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
- Garnaph (of Restokin) – EU Feral & resto Post: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/
- Talon (of Think Tank) – http://wowthinktank.blogspot.