MoP: Happy druid news

Okay, after weeks (months?) of things being pretty depressing around here, we finally got some good news!

We’re not yet happy with the druid level 90 row. We still like the theme of it playing into the druid’s hybrid nature and we want to reassure you (which I think most of you already know) that druids won’t do lower damage or healing compared to other classes just because some other class has an unambiguous throughput increasing talent at level 90. Classes are balanced around their whole package.

Nonetheless, we want the bottom row of talents to be exciting. In the next (hopefully) build, you’ll see a few changes.

• Disentanglement — no longer a talent. Shapeshifting for all druids just breaks roots.
  • Dream of Cenarius — increases damage spells by 70% (up from 30%).
  • Heart of the Wild — now also grants 6% passive Agility and Intellect.
  • Nature’s Vigil — replaces Disentanglement. Increases all damage and healing done by 30% for 30 sec, with a 3 min cooldown. While active, all healing spells also damage a nearby target for 50% of healing done, and all damage spells and abilities also heal a nearby friendly target for 50% of the damage done.

Let us know how they feel once you get a chance to try them.

This is some great news! Nature’s Vigil is going to be a nice utility tool that will be a good option for people who want to specialize in their main role while still bringing some utility. Being able to break roots baseline is a much better idea than having to spend a level 90 talent to have it back. The heal from disentanglement won’t be baseline, but we have enough self-healing options available that it will likely still be okay.

I guess that means I need to get back to leveling my druid on beta! This is definitely some great news for druids. I’m really happy to see some improvements here!

NOTE: the new level 90 talents are hitting beta in today’s patch. Keep in mind that the ability to shift out of “movement impairing effects” will include shifting out of both roots & slows.

1. Posted May 7, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

It’s not just Nature’s Vigil that’s going to be utilized for PvE throughput.

The change to HotW means you now have a choice:

Do I take a 6% passive intellect/spellpower boost? Or do I take a burst damage cooldown? (Which averages to 5% increased spellpower over the 3 minute period).

We actually now have a choice between sustain and burst.

Posted May 7, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Once they are in beta, I’ll do a full post examining each talent.

2. Posted May 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

HotW and Nature’s Vigil are much better now. Exciting, even (though I’m amused that a feral going guardian with HotW will actually be a better bear thanks to that stat boost).

DoC is still hugely flawed, except that it looks like it will either be mandatory for moonkin/resto (especially resto) or horrible for them except in really weird situations. At the core, there really should not be talents that essentially require you to use abilities outside your rotation for an optimal rotation. And if you don’t have to do it, the only real value to it is when you must go boomkin/resto for a part of the fight, in which case…meh?

I’m more jazzed, especially now that disentanglement is going away, but the talents really aren’t the wow factor that lvl 90 talents need to be.

I also think that Nature’s Vigil – the healing part – is not going to be particularly useful except in really weird situations. It’s nice to think of it as a special tranquility for kitty form (lolswipe lol), but most of the time that healing won’t be helpful. It’s sort of like the tiny heal from LoP, except magnified.

3. Stupidhero
    Posted May 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

The good:
    Nature’s Vigil and Disentanglement. Though I’d like it better if Nature’s Vigil would replace Symbiosis as our level 87 ability.

The bad:
    DoC: Vortex+Solarbeam+ NS&Root the healer, CA -> HT -> Starsurge the healer. I currently do not see how DoC can possible be balanced for both PvE (i.e. not useless) and PvP (i.e. not OP).

HotW: “We like to hold onto broken concepts w.r.t the druid class. So to make you pick this talent, we added one really cool passive bonus. One of those, which we originally intended to remove for MoP. It’s not like you’ll pick HotW only for this, won’t you?”

Posted May 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

We really need to see how DoC and HOTW are implemented in beta before we worry too much about them at this point. I’ll take the good and worry about the actual number balancing when we’re level 90. ;)

4. aramis
    Posted May 7, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Awesome changes. Like Sunfyre said, we now have an exciting choice between sustained DPS and burst.

Of course it’s all going to be situational, but I’m thinking the burst DPS cooldowns will be more for PVP (while not completely useless in PVE) and the sustained one for raid boss fights (while still not completely useless for PVP).

While I don’t want to betray my feral brothers and sisters, I still think it was a good idea to NOT let them have disentanglement. Making it baseline means their current root-breaks we see on live will be less meaningful in terms of the choices they’ll have to make on when to use them to break the root. Not only that, but personally, I have a hard enough time keep them off of me in PVP to begin with, giving them back auto root break pretty much makes them immune to one of the few peels I have as a PVP healer. I guess I’ll look at the upside on this…every Frost Mage in the game just started QQing, I’m sure and that makes me happy. :D

Posted May 7, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

The root break is baseline now, which is a neutral change for PvP because every PvP druid was going to have disentanglement anyway. They now just lost the self-heal when they shift out of roots, and gained a new utility ability instead.

5. Zy
    Posted May 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Count me as another pleased druid. A bit of me died every time I got rooted as feral so I’m happy to see a cornerstone of the class come back (and not as part of a max level “interesting choice”).

Nature’s Vigil sounds good. It’s not the most interesting thing ever but at this point I’ll take effective over interesting. It’s sure not something I would turn my nose up at.

6. Kat
    Posted May 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Thank god for everyone persevering for change to the talents. They are still pretty boring talents but at least they improve main spec. I still wish they would give resto druid something other than the healing mushrooms but I can live with them since the change to lvl 90 talents.

7. Mystfire
    Posted May 7, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

This is such great news. HotW isn’t looking as on-spec bad, and with the addition of NV, we are actually completing the druid pattern of sustained passive, decent low-CD, and powerful high-CD

Looking forward to actually testing the talents, now :)

Thanks for the great contributions to my post, Liss; you helped keep it constructive :)

8. Posted May 8, 2012 at 5:00 am | Permalink

Oo! This may sound a bit extreme but I think this change single handedly gets me excited about level 90. I was bitter about shape shifting not breaking roots. Its something been in the game since BC and has always felt like perfectly logical magical-sense.

Nature’s Vigil sounds absolutely fantastic. The numbers on it look really good–not too powerful but not weak. It sounds fun to me and I can think of places in almost every single raid fight ever on where I’d use it, for either its direct buff to MS or its buff to an OS function. Love it.

Posted May 8, 2012 at 8:44 am | Permalink

In some cases, it’s the little things that make a world of difference in this game. :)

9. Jonathan
    Posted May 8, 2012 at 9:10 am | Permalink

I like it. Sure, they’re not exciting at all, but I’m overall satisfied with our overall MoP toolkit, so I care more about functional than exciting right now.

10. Jork
    Posted May 8, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I wonder if the heals = damage part of nature’s vigil will be subject to the hit cap. If not, it will be a nice choice for fights where burst damage is needed because those times also tend to need burst healing. In my head I see popping Vigil, Incarnation and hotting the place up with rejuv, wild growth, lifebloom, and free regrowth’s (ooc), then tranquility for huge DPS (for a healer 3-5kdps)

11. Mightywing
    Posted May 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Riding my Raven Lord in moonkin and level 90 talents that give me choice? Yah!! I can breathe again.

12. old school moonkin
    Posted May 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

I have been waiting for years since moonkin was introduced to be able to mount in that form. It was always a huge disadvantage compared to everyone else in battlegrounds to have to wait that 1.35 seconds from dismounting every single encounter. With this and the burst damage option, I might even reactivate my account after over a year.

13. wouter
    Posted May 9, 2012 at 3:42 am | Permalink

Now I wonder if tranquility will be a moonkins best dps burst ability with the Nature’s Vigil talent.

14. Treeboi
    Posted May 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Dream of Cenarius still seems pretty bad. It’s really only useful for a PvP resto druid, and even thn, Nature’s Vigil is better.

For a PvP moonkin or PvP feral, the problem with healing revolves around the loss of Regrowth. It doesn’t matter that a heal is 30% bigger, if Healing Touch is your only heal, because it is near impossible to cast Healing Touch in PvP.

The way the talents are shaping up, it will be….

Nature’s Vigil = PvP moonkin/feral/restos and PvE moonkins/ferals/restos in heroic raiding guilds. Basically, PvP & heroic raiding rewards burst dps/healing.

Heart of the Wild = all PvE druids who are not in heroic raiding guilds and all guardian druids. This lets off tanks do decent dps, which is a very typical role, and it’s a bonus to normal raiding, which rarely have burst phases.

Dream of Cenarius = odd man out talent. Not even a PvP resto druid would choose this talent because even a 1.5 second regrowth is rarely castable in PvP. Resto PvP lives and dies by hots, swiftmend, and nature’s swiftness. Take a look at gladiator level arena videos, and you’ll see this truth for yourself.

15. Snuffey
    Posted May 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I am very glad they are making changes to the 90 talents but i got to be honest I think they can do better. Heart of the wild still seems like it should be a base line spell not a talent. The 6% to our int and agility tacked on to it is that same boring attribute increase that they have in cata talents. Nature’s vigil gives an interesting twist to a healing cd (I play resto) but, ignoring the damage it does, not an interesting mechanic. I think it is definitely closer to the hard choice talent idea they were going for. Though dream of cenarius I don’t see taking for any spec pve or pvp dead talent basicly. I was also very happy to see the healing shroom bloom upped to 12 yds and the placement mechanic is hell of a lot of fun. Though I think having the placement off cd and the bloom having a cast time would work better for both Boomkins and Resto druids since haste will not effect the heal at all.
    I will be healing in raids in MOP so my main focus is on that spec. Which still has it’s problems in that we are the only healing class that has no way of decreasing raid damage. Pallies have aura mastery, dis priests have power word barrier, shamans have spirit link totem. Now that replenishment is gone resto druids bring Mark of the wild and ………. nothing. I know I am being a bit negative but this is the time to be critical and to ask for change. All that being said I am extremely excited about MOP and cannot wait for it to released.

One Trackback