LFR: Raiding with friends

I have a confession. I actually enjoy the Looking for Raid content. While I don’t have a lot of time to play, I prefer running LFR over 5-mans to get my valor points.  However, I usually will only run LFR when I’m running with other guild members and friends. When we can get 5 to 10 people to queue up for the LFR together, it’s a lot more fun than just going by myself.

There has been talk of trying to solve a “LFR problem” of running LFR feeling mandatory (getting VP gear and set bonuses faster). However, This is really the same problem of the daily reputation quests, needing to maintain your farm, and the problem of needing to VP cap in general. In mists of pandaria, there is a lot of content. A lot of that content ends up being less desirable things that you feel socially compelled to do for the sake of keeping up with raiding.

When I first hit 90, I really had an issue with all these things that I had to do. However, in remembering all the time I spent in Stormwind feeling “bored” outside of raids, I can see Blizzard’s point in making all the extra things we feel like we need to do. Of all the things I feel compelled to do this expansion to be prepared for raids, LFR is actually the one thing that I really enjoy doing. I like the ability to run LFR to get experience with new encounters, or to just go in and top meters in my raiding gear. I didn’t mind the LFR in Dragonsoul that much, and the Mists LFR encounters are still new enough that I’m enjoying doing them when I have time. The LFR raids don’t require a whole lot of planning or attention, and they offer valuable rewards past the point where the blue drops from heroic 5-mans aren’t compelling anymore. So, I would be really bummed if they tied the LFR lockout to the normal and heroic raid lockout because LFR is really a different type of content. If we’re asking for fewer things to do outside of raids, I would vote for making the consumable gathering easier (lower mats required for flasks & feasts) or increasing the valor point rewards from content even more to accelerate the speed of capping points. I’d also prefer to go back to “weekly” quests instead of “daily” quests in some places. I can’t run a random heroic every day. Instead, I tend to have to do most of my VP farming on the weekend when I’m not tied up in long work hours (though I usually end up in the office 6 days a week when we get close to deadlines or have kids coming into the lab). I don’t honestly really mind having to do LFR once a week for my VP and chance at potential upgrades.

What do you guys think? Do you enjoy having more things to do outside of raids, or do you find all of the extra content to be a drain on your time? Do you think that the LFR is a problem, or an enjoyable thing to help fill your time?

1. Ben
    Posted November 3, 2012 at 3:24 am | Permalink

The VP grind is a pain with no end in sight. My favorite part of every tier is when I can just log in twice a week for raids and have a life the rest of the week. Looks like it’s going to be a while before we get to that point with raid vp being so low, and vp being used to upgrade gear in 5.1…

• Ben
      Posted November 3, 2012 at 3:27 am | Permalink

To include a positive note: I’m loving the mechanics of these raids. I just wish I didn’t have to do other stuff.

2. Posted November 3, 2012 at 3:24 am | Permalink

I don’t mind the extra content. I realized early on that I wouldn’t be able to do every single thing there was to do, so I prioritized. When I hit Revered with Golden Lotus, I stopped quests until I had also hit Revered with Shado-Pan, for instance.

I enjoy LFR for precisely the same reasons you do. It’s a different kind of content. It’s more laid back, not requiring the attention and concentration of our regular raids, which I appreciate. It gives me a chance to at least see some of the mechanics and get an idea before we start working on a boss.

To be perfectly honest, I already dislike the fact that 10s and 25s are shared lockouts, though I know that’s probably the unpopular opinion. I would likewise be extremely disappointed if LFR was tied to anything else. It is its own entity. If you’re a raider, casual, progression, or hardcore progression, then I think you kind of know what you’re signing up for. Sometimes that includes extra content, and LFR is a fairly minimal time commitment for the potential benefit.

3. gorrie
    Posted November 3, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Lfr is fine as it is. Its the other crap that annoyes me. Dailies. Dailies. With vp so low I may only bother with gl one day. Or not even bother with any unless someone wants a companion. Instead I either research and run ideas by guildies to make things easy for raid days. Or look for times when we are all online for a 3rd/4th day to raid some progression. We combined grp1 and 2 lastnight and killed spirit kings. We seem to have a lot of trouble with guardians and so we get way behind. If a dps or healer is missing its impossible to down them without full core. If we sub in anyone and don’t have 120hps combined or at least 40k dps might as well forget it.

Lfr is really the only good thing we got for gear vs time/fun. I suppose charm farming has long term benefits but I hate dailies.

4. Lefrena
    Posted November 4, 2012 at 4:08 am | Permalink

All the extra things I need to do has made me start avoiding wow. I know when I log on I should do all my dailies, run LFR, cap Valor (even though I don’t need it right now), do whatever the world event is right now, run LFR, farm my farm.

I think the funnest day I have had so far is when I logged on and decided playing pokemon was a much better way to spend my time all day until raiding.

That being said I am going to be glad of all the things to do when I get some more time, it’s just right now I feel there is to much for me to do so I do nothing!

Posted November 4, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

You can pick priorities and just do some of the things. So, I decided that I don’t need to be exalted with every faction and I’ve scaled back on my daily quests substantially.

5. Halcaeon
    Posted November 5, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

This isn’t said often, but I trust Blizz. I’ve enjoyed every xpac from TBC to MoP, and each of them has had its own feel and charm. I haven’t like everything they’ve done, but for the most part they keep the fun coming.

I don’t mind dailies. I never have. If anything, sometimes I’ve found myself a little petulant that they capped dailies at 25. I’m only 88 so far in MoP (I’m in Afghanistan… Hard to play sometimes, lol), but so far it’s been a great experience.

As for too much to do… I can NOT complain. I love the sheer quantity of little things to do. I can definitely see how some raiders are upset at the “raid required” chores that come with the content, but there’s always been a similar issue in raiders of different progression levels.

LFR was a CESSPOOL of humanity in DS, and frankly that was my only complaint. I enjoyed the content; I enjoyed doing it weekly (on innumerable alts). I think I’ll enjoy it in MoP as well. I’m excited to try scenarios, as well, and challenge some dungeons. Farms, Pokemon, dailies, scenarios, more LFR, heroic challenges… What’s not to love?

6. Rhowenne
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I do feel rushed to get my dailies done. I feel if I don’t get the best gear from the vendors as soon as possible I can’t get enough spirit for raiding with my guild. This makes me feel more pressured, while I try to learn the new heal style and still run out of mana. So to unwind I do like to plant that little garden or do scenarios. Then I use one of my alts to do all the storyline quests I never did on my druid for a change up. LFR is not something I like to do because of the jerks in it, but I use it to help with the gear up. I have gotten a lot of drops….almost all the gear has no spirit. /sigh Another thing that’s nice are the world bosses. They’re usually up a couple times a week for some nice drops. As for heroic challenges… If you don’t know your class/crappy nerf or aren’t used to the changes OR have people that don’t know how to move and stay out of junk. It’s very very hard! It puts the wow in WoW.

7. Treeboi
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

How to deal with long work hours….

The number one reason why people work long hours is poor estimation of remaining work, and the number one reason of poor estimation is that the time frames are too far out to estimate correctly. Aka, it is impossible to reliably plan out 3 months of work.

This used to be a *very* common problem for my field of software development, where deadlines were constantly mismanaged.

The solution was Agile development, in particular Scrum.

The Scrum model is to estimate only 2 weeks of work at a time, with daily scrums (15 minute meetings) to assess progress, with the goal of a working demo at the end of 2 weeks. Obviously, you cannot accomplish a real project in 2 weeks, but what you can do is break up a big project into a small enough portion that it can be completed in 2 weeks, and keep at it, 2 weeks at a time, until you have a deliverable product.

Scrum has become the defacto software development model for product releases.

Scrum is probably used in 75% of all companies that use Agile, with the other 25% using Kanban (which I don’t know anything about, but it seems that consulting firms tend to use Kanban, as well as maintenance/operations groups).

Basically, there is a solution to long hours, and that’s adopting an Agile work process like Scrum or Kanban, which has built in limits, meant to keep people from burning out.

One Trackback