Patching in the New Year

Happy New Year everyone! The 2o12 year was very exciting, with the release of the Mists of Pandaria expansion! The start of the new year will soon bring us a new PTR patch with new content and fixes.

Lets take a look at what is currently on the table for druids in 5.2:

• Cyclone was nerfed, especially for feral cat PVP. Only feral has the increased cooldown time, but I believe that the new diminishing returns affects everyone. In addition, typhoon given an increased cooldown for all specs. Faerie Swarm’s snare effect was limited to one target at a time. However, mass entanglement had the cooldown lowered significantly.
  • A change to displacer beast, which was previously the least useful talent on that movement tier. the new talent is a teleport with a movement speed buff after teleporting. They removed the stealth mechanic from the talent, which wasn’t designed to actually work right in the first place. Overall, it’s a minor buff to the talent, but still won’t be my favorite for PvE.
  • Buffed Cenarion Ward on the healing tier. There has been some math floating around that suggests the healing could be powerful for resto druids, but only if it doesn’t result in primarily over-healing. The mana cost (and the fact that it’s another HOT rather than a direct heal) means that we’ll have to wait and see how it plays out long-term compared to the other available burst heals on that tier for each of the specs.
  • Several scaling buffs to bear guardian druids (tooth and claw, frenzied regen, and the guardian mastery all buffed).
  • Buffs to the Force of Nature and Soul of the Forrest talents to help potentially make them more popular. We will need to see how these play out in PTR testing relative to the much more popular Incarnation talent on that tier.
  • Nature’s Vigil had both the cooldown and effect decreased. This will make the burst effect smaller (a 10% damage bonus instead of 20% for the duration), and since it can now be cast twice as often, that will mean that it is no longer in synch with the Incarnation burst talent, which was being macro’d together by moonkin.
  • Rejuvenation was buffed for restoration druids by having a lower mana cost. This will mean that you can use more rejuvenations before you run OOM.

Different day, same problem:

Healing Mushrooms still has not been addressed in the current set of 5.2 patch notes. We’ve been discussing shrooms since Beta and it would be really nice if the spell was actually worth putting on resto druids’ bars. Right now, however, healing shrooms are really a trap and need to be fixed so that they are a tool that makes sense in our toolset. It has been on the radar of the developers, but we still haven’t heard any real news. We really need to see some sort of fix for healing shrooms in 5.2. We’ve now had plenty of time for shrooms to show their design flaws on the live servers.

1. Zy
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

I tried Force of Nature in beta and in the beginning of MoP, I tried to like it. Really I did. Short cooldown, fire and forget, mana free. . . And stupid as all get out. It doesn’t matter how they buff it, unless they do something to fix how dumb the treats are I’m not going to touch it again.

As for shrooms, well, we all know how we feel about them.

I’m worried about the current conflict between Regrowth and Healing Touch given that HT isn’t even worth having on your bars except as a macro with NS. If they break the Regrowth glyph so we don’t have a flash heal again I’m gonna be pretty pissed (just the first thing that springs to mind that they might do).

2. tkc
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 9:44 am | Permalink

From MMO-Champ:
    I’d like to add to this, whats with the Resto druid nerfs when we are the only healing class yet to receive love
    We have a crazy idea for mushrooms that we’re working on. Too soon to know if it’s a keeper. (Source)
    Can you give us a hinty hint hint with what you are gonna do with Wild Mushroom: Bloom? Pretty please? *puppy dog eyes*
    Love to, but we’ve learned to be cautious since some players can’t differentiate work in progress vs. broken promises.

Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Yeah, that’s the set of tweets I couldn’t find when I was originally writing the post. It still qualifies as “on the radar” but not having any actual tangible changes.

• Jonathan
        Posted January 7, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I’d call that past “on the radar” and more “being addressed.”

It may not come soon, but the fact that there’s an idea out there is at least somewhat comforting.

Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I’m cynical enough that I prefer to not count on patch changes until they are on the PTR client. :)

• tkc
            Posted January 8, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

We should get our dance studios any day now.
            That said, if it keeps up like it is I may be switching my main back to my disc priest. I just made the LFR cut on my priest and got 29k heals and 12k of shields for 41k hps. My resto druid who is way better geared struggles to make that level of healing. And I was doing a fair share of panicked button mashing on my priest because I haven’t raided with that toon since Panda came out.

• Jonathan
            Posted January 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Looks like they’re getting started!

“Wild Mushroom Balance, Feral, Guardian: Grow magical mushrooms with 5 health at the target location. Other Wild Mushroom abilities can target these mushrooms for additional effects. Only 3 mushrooms can be placed at one time. Restoration: Grow magical mushrooms with 5 health at the target location. After 6 sec, the mushrooms will become invisible. The mushrooms grow larger as they accumulate healing power from 75% of overhealing done by your Rejuvenation, up to a maximum of 100% of your health in bonus healing.”

Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Except that the new version of healing shrooms is going to be stupid if it now: A) requires you to use 3 GCDs to plant a shroom, B) make you wait until your shrooms accumulated enough healing power, C) hope that your entire raid hasn’t moved by then, and then D) detonate the shrooms. Shrooms in the new design become less useful during times of heavy raid damage where your rejuv doesn’t overheal enough to generate power fast enough. So, I guess I need to see how this plays out on the PTR if it’s even possible to really test them.

What we needed was: 1) a reduction in the number of shrooms we placed, 2) a change to the cooldown of shrooms to make the use less frequent, 3) more mobility of shrooms such as casting it on a player, and/or 4) increased usefulness as an on-demand burst healing tool to deal with heavy AOE burst damage that HOTs are useless against.

Update: on the PTR, they are doing insane amounts of healing that is unlikely to go live being so overpowered. I also generally like critiquing mechanics over numbers when the numbers aren’t stable yet.

• Jonathan
            Posted January 10, 2013 at 9:31 am | Permalink

“Other Wild Mushroom abilities can target these mushrooms for additional effects” gives me the impression there’s more to be revealed about this. Wouldn’t be surprised if one of those “abilities” ends up being the ability to move them.

Not an insane amount of progress made yet, but my point is that they clearly are working on it.

Posted January 10, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

That text is already on the shroom tooltip and doesn’t do anything. I think they just mean that when you hit the “bloom” button, it does something. :)

3. tkc
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

It does seem a bit counter-intuitive to make what is largely considered a bad play style (excessive overhealing) a requirement for healing shrooms to work. It seems I’ll be casting rejuve on people for the helluvit just to empower my shrooms.