So, my guild officers asked everyone to look into what their pre-raid gear options are. So, I spent several hours one day looking at all the instance drops, reputation items, and badge rewards. I thought that I would post it here on my blog for other people to benefit from, rather than only posting it on my guild forums. Since moonkin & resto share caster leather gear, I’m including both in this gear list.
Before you step into raids, you want to be decked out in as much ilevel 346 gear (or higher!) as possible. So, my gear list below is only going to include ilevel blue 346 gear. However, normal-mode dungeons will drop lower item level pieces that are basically the same stat combination, just lower ilevel.
Other gear guides available: If you want a BIS pre-raid gear list for moonkin, then see the guide at Sunfyre’s Nest. Sunfyre’s nest has the gear set would put you near the hit cap for raids. Keep in mind that reforging is a good way to add or subtract spirit/hit rating as necessary. Treebound has a more extensive resto gear list, including some lower item-level things I excluded from here. Auracen on the Plus Heal forums has another resto gear list, including epic items & crafted. I have a list of reputation reward items for caster druids here.
Remember that your gear should be all leather, with NO CLOTH!!!
Stat priorities for Resto healers: Int > Spirit > Haste > Crit = Mastery
- For resto, crit probably comes ahead of mastery in raid/AOE healing. Mastery comes ahead of crit in tank healing. So, I’m calling it roughly a tie.
- You don’t want hit rating on gear – that’s for DPS casters.
Stat priorities for Moonkin casters: Int > Spirit/hit = haste > crit >= mastery
- Your talents make spirit give you hit rating. So, spirit & hit are basically the same stat for moonkin. Starting out in blues, you are going to need a lot of your gear to have spirit or hit on it (either naturally or through reforging) to reach the hit cap (17% hit for the first tier of raiding).
- Remember that you can use reforging to your advantage to raise or lower your hit rating. This means that you can take a piece of gear without spirit/hit and add spirit/hit to the item to help you reach the hit cap. Hamlet has more info about how reforging impacts stat priorities.
Blue Caster Leather (ilevel 346) - Includes gear from instances, reputation, & vendors (listed in no particular order). I have some of the available epic items in italics. See the Plus Heal gear guide for additional craftable caster druid items & various caster epics.
- Robes of Forgetfulness (spi/haste) – 2200 justice points
- Vest of the curious visitor (crit/haste) – Glubtok in Deadmines (H)
- Cursed skardyn vest (spi/mastery) – Grim Batol (H)
- EPIC Crafted BOE: Chestguard of Nature’s Fury – Leatherworking
- Awakening Footfalls (crit/mastery) – Anhuur in Halls of Origination (H)
- Decapod Slippers (spi/crit) – Ghur’sha in Throne of Tides (H)
- Deep Delving Gloves (spirit/haste) – Slabhide in Stonecore (H)
- Aessina-Blessed Gloves (haste/mastery) – Revered Reputation with Hyjal
- Blessed Hands of Elune (spi/crit) – 1600 Justice Points from SW/Org vendor
- Gloves of the uplifted cup (crit/mastery) – Baron Silverlane in Shadowfang Keep (H)
- Cluster of Stars (spirit/haste) – 2200 Justice Points (I would buy this)
- Willowy Crown (crit/mastery) – Obsidius in Blackrock Caverns (H)
- Cowl of rebellion (spi/mastery) – Vanessa VanCleef in Deadmines (H)
- Leggings of clutching roots (Spi/crit) – Revered with earthen ring
- Leggings of the Path (Spi/mastery) – Siamat in Tol’Vir (H)
- Leggings of late blooms (haste/mastery)- 2200 justice points
- Somber Shawl (Spi/mastery) – 1650 justice points
- Mantle of Bestilled Winds (Spi/haste)- Altarius, Vortex Pinnacle (H)
- Thatch eave vines (Spi/haste) – 1650 Justice Points
- Underworld Cord (spi/mastery) – Earthrager Ptah in Halls of Origination (H)
- EPIC Crafted: Lightning Lash - Leatherworking
- EPIC reputation belt: Belt of the Untamed OR Withered dream belt
- Armbands of Change (crit/haste) – Corla in Blackrock caverns (H)
- Oasis bracers – (spirit/mastery) – Lost City of Tol’Vir (H)
Blue-quality Accessories (ilevel 346) - Some accessories are moonkin or resto-specific and are not shared across specs. Resto doesn’t use any hit rating accessories, and some trinkets are DPS or healing specific. Includes gear from instances, reputation, & vendors. See the Plus Heal gear guide for additional craftable caster druid Blue & Epic items.
- Cloak of ancient wisdom (crit/haste)- Revered with earthen ring
- Solar Wind Cloak (spirit/haste) – Rajh in Halls of Origination (H)
- Shadow of perfect bliss (hit/crit – MOONKIN) – Asaad in Vortex Pinacle (H)
- Periwinkle Cloak (haste/mastery) – Naz’jar in Throne of Tides (H)
- Azureborne cloak (spi/crit) – Dragha Shadowburner in Grim Batol (H)
- Amulet of Tender Breath (spi/crit): Altarius in Vortex Pinacle (H)
- Quicksilver Amulet (spi/haste): Karsh Steelbender in Blackrock Cavern (H)
- Celadon Pendant (spi/mastery): 1250 Justice points
- Pipefish cord (haste/mastery): Neptulon in Throne of Tides (H)
- Pendant of the Keep: Baron Silverlaine in Shadowfang Keep (H)
- EPIC reputation: Lightning flash pendant OR Yellow smoke Pendant
Relic (replaces Idols):
- Book of Dark Prophecies (spirit/crit): Azil in Stonecore (H)
- Book of the well sung song (crit/haste): Deadmines (H)
- Captured Lightning (spirit/haste): Asaad in vortex pinacle (H)
- Blue Crafted BOE tattooed eyeball from inscription.
Rings (there are lots of caster rings, so I excluded all rings that had neither haste or spirit):
- Diamant’s ring of temperance (crit/haste) – Revered with Therazane
- Band of life energy (spirit/crit) – Halls of Origination (H)
- Veneficial band (spirit/mastery) – Tol’Vir (H)
- Rose Quartz band (crit/haste) – Stonecore (H)
- Ring of frozen rain (spirit/crit) – vortex pinacle (H)
- Kibble (spirit/mastery) Blackrock Cavern (H)
Trinket (Spec-specific ones labeled. Items described as “Primary Stat”/”Equip Proc or Use effect stat”):
- Anhuur’s Hymnal (Hit/SP: MOONKIN) – Anhuur in Halls of Origination (H)
- Tear of Blood (Int/healing->spirit: RESTO) – Azil in Stonecore (H)
- Sea Star (Spirit/SP) – Neptulon in Throne of Tides (H)
- Gale of shadows (haste/SP ) – Erudax in Grim Batol (H)
- Witching Hourglass (Int/Haste) – Obsidius in Blackrock Cavern (H)
- You should also look into what blue & epic crafting trinkets are available to you.
Blue Weapons (2-H or 1-H/off-hand) ilevel 346: Since you have a lot of weapon choices, I’m only including weapons that have spirit or haste on them. Items with Hit rating marked as moonkin-only. The decision of staff vs. 1-hand/off-hand combo actually comes out about the same in terms of total spell power (2034 versus 2027) and int (302 versus 298) However, 1-hand + OH comes out ahead with more Int/spell power due to the 100 int off-hand enchant not included in the above calculations.
Staff (2-Hand): All have 302 int & 1732 SP (for a total of 2034 SP)
- Soul Releaser (Spi/haste) – Ptah in Halls of Origination (H)
- Cerith Spire Staff (hit/haste: MOONKIN) – Ulthok in Throne of Tides (H)
- staff of isolation (Spi/mastery): Godfrey in Shadowfang Keep (H)
1-Hand Weapons: Have 130 int, 1729 SP (1859 SP + 168 from off-hand = 2027 SP total)
- mace: Scepter of Power (spi/haste)- Setesh in Halls of Origination (H)
- dagger: Biting Wind (crit/haste) – Ertan in vortex pinacle (H)
- mace: Torturer’s mercy (Spi/mastery)- Rom’ogg Bonecrusher Blackrock Caverns (H)
Off-hand items (168 int):