Happy New Year everyone! The 2o12 year was very exciting, with the release of the Mists of Pandaria expansion! The start of the new year will soon bring us a new PTR patch with new content and fixes.
Lets take a look at what is currently on the table for druids in 5.2:
- Cyclone was nerfed, especially for feral cat PVP. Only feral has the increased cooldown time, but I believe that the new diminishing returns affects everyone. In addition, typhoon given an increased cooldown for all specs. Faerie Swarm’s snare effect was limited to one target at a time. However, mass entanglement had the cooldown lowered significantly.
- A change to displacer beast, which was previously the least useful talent on that movement tier. the new talent is a teleport with a movement speed buff after teleporting. They removed the stealth mechanic from the talent, which wasn’t designed to actually work right in the first place. Overall, it’s a minor buff to the talent, but still won’t be my favorite for PvE.
- Buffed Cenarion Ward on the healing tier. There has been some math floating around that suggests the healing could be powerful for resto druids, but only if it doesn’t result in primarily over-healing. The mana cost (and the fact that it’s another HOT rather than a direct heal) means that we’ll have to wait and see how it plays out long-term compared to the other available burst heals on that tier for each of the specs.
- Several scaling buffs to bear guardian druids (tooth and claw, frenzied regen, and the guardian mastery all buffed).
- Buffs to the Force of Nature and Soul of the Forrest talents to help potentially make them more popular. We will need to see how these play out in PTR testing relative to the much more popular Incarnation talent on that tier.
- Nature’s Vigil had both the cooldown and effect decreased. This will make the burst effect smaller (a 10% damage bonus instead of 20% for the duration), and since it can now be cast twice as often, that will mean that it is no longer in synch with the Incarnation burst talent, which was being macro’d together by moonkin.
- Rejuvenation was buffed for restoration druids by having a lower mana cost. This will mean that you can use more rejuvenations before you run OOM.
Different day, same problem:
Healing Mushrooms still has not been addressed in the current set of 5.2 patch notes. We’ve been discussing shrooms since Beta and it would be really nice if the spell was actually worth putting on resto druids’ bars. Right now, however, healing shrooms are really a trap and need to be fixed so that they are a tool that makes sense in our toolset. It has been on the radar of the developers, but we still haven’t heard any real news. We really need to see some sort of fix for healing shrooms in 5.2. We’ve now had plenty of time for shrooms to show their design flaws on the live servers.
Symbiosis is a new spell we get at level 87. When you cast it on another player, you gain one of their spells, and they gain one of yours. This duplicates the spell, so that both players keep their existing tools. The person you cast it on will need to drag the new symbiosis spell button to their spell bar.
Symbiosis addon management tools:
I haven’t tested any of the symbiosis addons, but here are some options of things that may be helpful to you.
Here are copies of the tables of symbiosis spells. They can also be found at Sunfyre’s Nest with mouse-over text.
What you gain from other classes when you cast Symbiosis:
|Death Knight||Anti-magic shell||Bone Shield||Death Coil||Icebound Fortitude
|Hunter||Misdirection||Ice Trap||Play Dead||Deterrence
|Mage||Mirror Image||Mage Ward||Frost Nova||Ice Block
|Monk||Grapple Weapon||Elusive Brew||Clash||Fortifying Brew
|Paladin||Hammer of Justice ||Consecration|| Divine shield||Cleanse
|Priest||Mass Dispel||Fear Ward||Dispersion||Leap of Faith
|Rogue||Cloak of Shadows||Feint||Redirect||Evasion
|Shaman||Purge||Lightning Shield||Feral Spirit||Spiritwalker Grace
|Warlock||Unending Resolve||Life Tap||Soul Swap||Demonic Circle: Teleport
|Warrior||Intervene||Spell Reflection||Shattering Blow||Intimidating Roar
What you give to other classes:
|Class||Spec A||Spec B
|Death Knight||Tank: Might of Ursoc||DPS: Mushrooms
|Hunter||All specs: rnDash||
|Mage||All specs: rnHealing Touch||
|Monk||Tank: Survival Instincts||Healer: Entangling rootsrnDPS: Bear Hugrn
|Paladin||Tank: Barkskin||Healer: RebirthrnDPS: Wrath
|Priest||Healer: Cyclone||DPS: Tranquility
|Rogue||All specs: Growlrn(taunt w/survivability bonus)||
|Shaman||Healer: prowl||DPS: Solar Beam
|Warrior||Tanks: Savage Defense||DPS: Stampeding shout
Who should you cast it on?
They nerfed what tanks get, so at this point, it doesn’t much matter who you cast it on. When running PUGs with players you don’t know, assume that the other player won’t use it and just cast it on whoever gives you the best benefit. (I’ll usually go for iceblock if a mage is available). With the changes, this is mostly a PvP ability with limited PvE use overall.
See more for resto druids in the updated healing guide.
Happy patch day Tuesday! Here are a list of some of the resources here at Restokin and other places to get you set up for Mists of Pandaria.
Restoration druid resources
Balance druid 5.0 resources
Feral druid 5.0 resources
Guardian (Bear tank) 5.0 resources
Resources for other classes
- Icy Veins has guides for most classes. Though, blogs specific to certain classes are more likely to have more complete information about things like rotations (and some guides may be better than others).
- A list of other class guides are available at cannot be tamed (I don’t want to just copy & paste that list)
- Mage: Lhivera’s compendium. Use the menus on the lower left side of the screen to navigate between pages. Covers all mage specs (and not listed in the above list).
- Frost mages are viable for PvE now. MMO melting pot has a quick frost mage starter guide.
I have updated my leveling guides for the 5.0 patch that is due to go live on Tuesday. Here are some highlights:
Resto druid healing Guide 5.0 updates
The healing guide has a brief description of the 5.0 changes. Every page has also been updated with the changes for 5.0, except for the gems & enchant section that will be updated when the leveling cap increases. The healing guide has new page featuring descriptions of the new talents, as well as some recommendations.
Druid Leveling guide 5.0 updates
Major revisions to the druid leveling guide include one page dedicated to explaining the talents for all four specializations. The leveling guide focuses more on the abilities and rotations for characters starting out at the earlier levels and how to deal with incomplete tool sets through ~level 60 for each specialization.
If you see any typos or issues in the guides, please post here. I purged most of the comments from the guides to help reduce the amount of patch-day confusion people may have. Some of the pages will still accept comments, and others have been disabled to reduce the amount of spam they get. So, posting comments here may be more reliable than trying to post on the actual guide pages. 🙂