So, when I got my leveling guide ready for 4.0.1, it wasn’t complete. I didn’t have a tank leveling build ready to go on release date. Since then, I’ve gotten tank leveling questions from multiple people. So, over the weekend, I finally got together the tank leveling talent spec and posted it on the blog. I also posted the tank talents on the forum version of the guide.
I still have a lot more work to do for the leveling guide, for sure.
One piece of advice I am getting from low-level druids is that thorns is doing a lot of damage right now for balance-spec (caster) druids when things are hitting you. Thorns is a spell you learn at level 6. So, if you are leveling up a druid right now, remember that thorns will do a lot of damage to something that is beating up on you with melee damage. You can’t cast thorns in bear or cat form, BUT you could potentially cast it on yourself before you pull when you are soloing (though note that it doesn’t last very long). Thanks to all the druids who contacted me to let me know how good thorns is now!
At Blizzcon on Saturday, they had a Q&A with their class/systems designers. It’s pretty interesting. For the Q&A sessions today, I’m going to stick with druid questions to highlight what happened today in the Q&A’s.
GC talked some about their full-time systems design team, highlighting that he’s not the only developer that has an impact on class design. Like the other one, I’m putting the developer quotes in Blue, and my commentary is in italics.
- Lots of hunters, paladins, & priests asking questions at the early part of the panel.
- Wild mushroom question: “I don’t think players have really grasped the usefulness o the spell yet…. A feral tank They put a mushroom at all of the spawn points. When the adds spawn, you can detonate and they all run to you”…. “When they are stacked all at one place and they can do a lot of damage…. You should stack them if you want to do really burst damage” Note: The response about shrooms is interesting because they were talking about shrooms in tanking (which makes some sense, except that I don’t think we can detonate shrooms in bear form, so I’m not sure how it would work, other than detonating and then shifting into bear real fast on a pull?).
- Racial abilities – “Diffrent races have those different abilities, and some are better than PvE or PvP, but they’ll shine in different fights.” Are “Mindful of the overall balance of them to keep them in line. Want to make sure you don’t feel like if you aren’t X race, you are doing it wrong… It’s part of the flavor“
- “We made a new minor glyph that lets you have the old tree form glyph. If you want to look like old granny tree” This is the one already in Beta, but it does NOT give you perma-tree, as far as I know. So, I think he’s referring to the one that gives you the current form in the cooldown, instead of using the new form in the cooldown.
- Nom nom nom – “Its an internet joke that will be less funny a year from now, and was going to get dated in a hurry. We don’t usually name them over pop-culture things. In alpha, we name things silly things” Personally, seeing as how it was something Cookie Monster said when I was a kid and it’s still funny, I think it wouldn’t have the same pop-culture effect as other things.
- Feral tank jewelry & sub-optimal stats – “One of the nice things with how we changed stats is that the amount of stamina on DPS & tank gear is the same…. We can always assume you will have the rogue-stat items. You shouldn’t want the “tank” stuff anymore…. You still will have to compete with DPS classes…
- Warstomp – No for bears.
- Vengeance tanking question – “gearing for surival versus threat has always been a trade-off for some extent…. Having to make that decision is something interesting. That being said, when vengeance is falling off too much, it can feel crappy.” … “It isn’t designed to be mandatory… allows tanks to scale with DPS.” The problem with vengeance in some ways is that it doesn’t generate enough in easier content, which makes it hard to do “farming” runs versus DPS that is doing more damage. As we have this longer, I think it will change somewhat over time once they’ve seen level 85 on the Live servers.
WoW General Q&A panel had only a couple things really relevant to druids. Here are the highlights from that:
- Female druid forms? – “I’ve seen some concept art for it. It’s a difficult one to make it balance out, but it’s tricky and we’ll do what we can“.
- General class question – “ramp up is something we want everyone to do. We inserted it in where it didn’t exist before.“
- General class question - Mortal strike-type effects are going to become a 10% healing debuff.
- Raiding healing – “Have spur of the moment & predictable damage where you would want to plan your cooldowns. We have a variety“.
So, moonkin & resto bloggers have always outnumbered our feral blogging counterparts. Thus, I’m excited to announce to you that Reesi (author of the feral tanking guide on the official WoW forums) has made a brand new bear tanking blog!
Reesi’s blog is called “The Inconspicuous Bear” and can be found at: http://theincbear.wordpress.com/
Go take a peak and add it to your feed reader. It’s still in the very early stages (I don’t usually feature blogs in their first days of development). However, Reesi is someone I’m really excited to see blogging (no pressure! lol).
The inconspicuous bear has a couple new posts as well as a more convenient home for the 4.0 bear tanking guide, which will be especially nice when the forums make a switch over to the new forum system (or if the forum mod squad keep ignoring our requests to re-sticky Ri’s 4.0 bear guide).
Anyway, go over there to say hi & welcome our new bear friend to blogging!
IMPORTANT NOTICE about bugs in 4.0.1 via Sunfyre @ Sunfyre’s nest:
“Many people experienced problems with training mastery, where training mastery did not infact GIVE you mastery. (The spellbook still said to go see your trainer). I (Sunfyre) figured out a way to make it work, using the following method. I suggest you do the same just as a precaution.
When you first load into 4.0, before you talent, head to Moonglade. At the trainer, learn mastery and leather specialization before any other ability.”
So, we have confirmation from mmo-champion that tomorrow is patch day, with about 99% certainty. To help you get ready for patch day, the blogging community has been working hard at writing guides to help you through this confusing transition period. Just remember one thing…
On this blog, I have two guides available for your patch day viewing pleasure:
Moonkin resources for 4.0.1 (talents, glyphs, gems, etc)
Feral druid resources for 4.0.1 (talents, glyphs, gems, etc):
Restoration druid resources for 4.0.1:
For other classes, see this resource list at Jaded alt!
Epic Raid Warning podcast Roundtable!
The Raid Warning podcast roundable is finally up! Listen to a great podcast while you wait for the servers to come back up!