So, Blizzard released the new official WoW forums as part of their battle.net website features for Cataclysm.
My biggest complaint with them is that the coloring makes the text really hard for me to read (ie. gives me a headache). So, one of the things I did was to install an addon for firefox on my home computer that makes the font White (instead of the light brown color) and increases the font size. So, I don’t have to strain as much to read the forums. If the new forums are bugging your eyes, click here for instructions on how to change the font for Firefox and Chrome.
Okay, so now onto more happy things: I moved both of my guides onto the new forums (and the other druid guide writers migrated their guides, too!). They are mostly the same guides that you find on the old forums. However, we won’t be able to edit the old forums when we update to the 4.0.3 guides next month, so we’ll all need to move to this new forum “soon”.
At this point, I’m not sure if they intend to sticky the guides or not on the new forums. So, here is the list of guides from the new forums for all your druid spec needs:
At Blizzcon on Saturday, they had a Q&A with their class/systems designers. It’s pretty interesting. For the Q&A sessions today, I’m going to stick with druid questions to highlight what happened today in the Q&A’s.
GC talked some about their full-time systems design team, highlighting that he’s not the only developer that has an impact on class design. Like the other one, I’m putting the developer quotes in Blue, and my commentary is in italics.
- Lots of hunters, paladins, & priests asking questions at the early part of the panel.
- Wild mushroom question: “I don’t think players have really grasped the usefulness o the spell yet…. A feral tank They put a mushroom at all of the spawn points. When the adds spawn, you can detonate and they all run to you”…. “When they are stacked all at one place and they can do a lot of damage…. You should stack them if you want to do really burst damage” Note: The response about shrooms is interesting because they were talking about shrooms in tanking (which makes some sense, except that I don’t think we can detonate shrooms in bear form, so I’m not sure how it would work, other than detonating and then shifting into bear real fast on a pull?).
- Racial abilities – “Diffrent races have those different abilities, and some are better than PvE or PvP, but they’ll shine in different fights.” Are “Mindful of the overall balance of them to keep them in line. Want to make sure you don’t feel like if you aren’t X race, you are doing it wrong… It’s part of the flavor“
- “We made a new minor glyph that lets you have the old tree form glyph. If you want to look like old granny tree” This is the one already in Beta, but it does NOT give you perma-tree, as far as I know. So, I think he’s referring to the one that gives you the current form in the cooldown, instead of using the new form in the cooldown.
- Nom nom nom – “Its an internet joke that will be less funny a year from now, and was going to get dated in a hurry. We don’t usually name them over pop-culture things. In alpha, we name things silly things” Personally, seeing as how it was something Cookie Monster said when I was a kid and it’s still funny, I think it wouldn’t have the same pop-culture effect as other things.
- Feral tank jewelry & sub-optimal stats – “One of the nice things with how we changed stats is that the amount of stamina on DPS & tank gear is the same…. We can always assume you will have the rogue-stat items. You shouldn’t want the “tank” stuff anymore…. You still will have to compete with DPS classes…
- Warstomp – No for bears.
- Vengeance tanking question – “gearing for surival versus threat has always been a trade-off for some extent…. Having to make that decision is something interesting. That being said, when vengeance is falling off too much, it can feel crappy.” … “It isn’t designed to be mandatory… allows tanks to scale with DPS.” The problem with vengeance in some ways is that it doesn’t generate enough in easier content, which makes it hard to do “farming” runs versus DPS that is doing more damage. As we have this longer, I think it will change somewhat over time once they’ve seen level 85 on the Live servers.
WoW General Q&A panel had only a couple things really relevant to druids. Here are the highlights from that:
- Female druid forms? – “I’ve seen some concept art for it. It’s a difficult one to make it balance out, but it’s tricky and we’ll do what we can“.
- General class question – “ramp up is something we want everyone to do. We inserted it in where it didn’t exist before.“
- General class question – Mortal strike-type effects are going to become a 10% healing debuff.
- Raiding healing – “Have spur of the moment & predictable damage where you would want to plan your cooldowns. We have a variety“.
IMPORTANT NOTICE about bugs in 4.0.1 via Sunfyre @ Sunfyre’s nest:
“Many people experienced problems with training mastery, where training mastery did not infact GIVE you mastery. (The spellbook still said to go see your trainer). I (Sunfyre) figured out a way to make it work, using the following method. I suggest you do the same just as a precaution.
When you first load into 4.0, before you talent, head to Moonglade. At the trainer, learn mastery and leather specialization before any other ability.”
So, we have confirmation from mmo-champion that tomorrow is patch day, with about 99% certainty. To help you get ready for patch day, the blogging community has been working hard at writing guides to help you through this confusing transition period. Just remember one thing…
On this blog, I have two guides available for your patch day viewing pleasure:
Moonkin resources for 4.0.1 (talents, glyphs, gems, etc)
Feral druid resources for 4.0.1 (talents, glyphs, gems, etc):
Restoration druid resources for 4.0.1:
For other classes, see this resource list at Jaded alt!
Epic Raid Warning podcast Roundtable!
The Raid Warning podcast roundable is finally up! Listen to a great podcast while you wait for the servers to come back up!
So, there are a couple things that I have going on that I wanted to post updates about:
- Preparing for the 4.0.1 patch (for both moonkin & resto druids)! This weekend, I hope to post about things like glyphs & gems that you should be acquiring before patch day hits. Not all of the glyphs will be available on patch day, but you will be able to set up with a temporary glyph set to get you started.
- Both my healing and leveling guides will need a facelift the day that 4.0.1 hits the shelves. I will have something in place on release day, but neither will be a full guide, and the guides will stop at level 80 content. So, I will have a guide tailored to level 80 healing with the new talents (mostly with an explanation of what changed and how to deal with the new changes at 80 before mana becomes a problem). I will also have something resembling a 1 to 80 leveling guide ready to go at that point which will receive frequent updates as I have time and we get closer to Cata’s release.
- Prior to cata’s release, I will get leveling guide updated for all 3 specs from 80 to 85 ready to go (along with probably getting the resto/bear instance healing/tanking leveling stuff ready to go, which won’t make it in for my 4.0 leveling guide). I will release a complete version for 85 resto healing after Cataclysm hits the shelves and we see how people are actually healing, and what the raid mechanics actually look like.
- I believe that WoW is going to be migrating to new a new forum format, where we will have to start from scratch by re-posting all of our guides and such. Blizzard has done a WoW forum migration once before in previous patches, and has put Starcraft on the new forum format already. They haven’t announced anything about this lately, but I’m still anticipating the move. My leveling guide will likely move to the new forums first, and then the healing guide will follow after I get the leveling guide set up. All guides will also be cross-posted on the blog, and the blog will contain more updates as we work our way through the transition.
- Oh, and this month is also Blizzcon, which I’ll be watching from home (since I didn’t get tickets). I’ll report on any big druid announcements over that weekend.
Now that you know my plan for the next ~3 months… I have a fun announcement! I’m planning on joining a bunch of my fellow druids in recording a Druid Roundtable podcast with the Raid Warning Podcast this NEXT weekend. (Date postponed another week...) There will be resto, feral, and moonkin druids. The lineup of people they sent the contact e-mails out to was a rather large list of big druid names from the community. We’ll be recording segments over this weekend, and they plan to release the podcast to everyone on Tuesday, the 5th in mid-October. I’ll let you guys know when it is posted, and will give you links and more info at that point. It won’t be recorded live due to how complicated it will be for the Raid Warning crew to coordinate so many different schedules.
Prior to the podcast, we’re supposed to ask for questions that people want answered. So, if you have a burning question you want discussed by the druid roundtable, you are welcome to put it in a comment to this post. You can also follow @RaidWarning on Twitter, and send your questions directly to them. In addition, if you are on twitter and are not following me (@restokin), you are also missing out on all my fun beta testing rants!
That’s all I have for now. Oh, and ontop of all of this, I’m supposed to be sending my advisor a draft of my dissertation proposal by the end of the weekend. Oh joy!