This week is the release of patch 7.2! There is a lot of world content released but the raid dungeon won’t be released for a few more months (probably some time this summer). Feel free to join the druid Discord to discuss changes in 7.2 with other druids!
Here are some highlights:
Overall, after the patch hits you want to unlock your artifact knowledge by doing the Armies of the Legionfall quest chain (complete this before doing world quests or anything else, as the increased artifact knowledge is important. Make sure you start learning your new AK ranks as fast as you can). You also then want to complete the Defending Broken Isles chain that unlocks the new artifact weapon paths.
There is also a bunch of other world content, leading up to things like being able to fly and completing quests that allow you to unlock your new druid class “mount” (owl bird shapeshift form).
Balance 7.2 patch highlights:
New traits in your balance weapon progression (click here for example path video by Emre#0950 on Discord).
- At 35 traits, you unlock “Goldrinn’s Fury” to get access to the new traits & ranks. You will want to fill out your whole new mini-tree from Radiance thru the gold trait (Circadian Invocation).
- Wax & Wane is a trait where moonfire/sunfire has increasing stacking damage. This doesn’t dramatically change your rotation, as moonfire spam is not intended to be a viable single-target strategy. This has undergone some tuning such that it’s an okay DPS increase during times you might want to spam moonfire (e.g, cleave or heavy movement fights where you might end up needing filler).
- Circadian Invocation is the gold bordered trait. It gives 6% to arcane, 6% to nature and 12% to Astral (e.g., starsurge, starfall). This is a pretty big buff to our single-target damage.
- After that, you can go back and fill out other ranks in your existing traits (e.g., scythe of the starts, sunfire burns, etc).
balance spell changes:
- We didn’t have any major spell changes for PVE.
- The starfall change isn’t a nerf. The patch notes only list one change that isn’t really something most people will even notice. While the haste scaling change for starfall seems like a nerf, keep in mind that haste only ever reduced the duration without adding extra ticks. Basically, starfall will now stay active longer but have a slower tick rate. You will get the same number of total ticks, with a slightly longer damage buffs on your DOTs or longer to cast while moving (the starfall circle stays up longer). In exchange, starfall is not really so great on things that die fast (and because it was never burst damage in the first place, that’s always held true). On mobs that died in a few seconds, you never got the full starfall/DOT ticks off in the first place, which has always been a glaring weakness for balance. In conclusion, the starfall change isn’t a nerf.
- Promise of Elune (balance boots) got a buff that makes them better than they were (at least a small DPS upgrade now over equipping no legendary at all). Sephuz also now gives a 2% haste bonus passive. Ekowraith also got a haste stat bonus. Overall, I don’t think these changes impact the BIS list for balance legendaries (the strong ones are still really strong), but if you got stuck with crappy ones before, they are at least closer in their DPS increase.
Restoration 7.2 highlights:
Questionably Epic is a new resto druid site that has a good preview up and is worth checking out.
Overall, resto druids don’t have a ton of changes, so the main thing will be how to advance your weapon with the new traits.
- After 35 traits, you can put a point into G’hanir’s bloom to unlock your new traits. You should work towards your gold-bordered trait (deep rooted) first.
- After you unlock deep rooted, you can go back in and fill out your ranks in other traits, starting with the really good ones (e.g., persistence, grovewalker, knowledge of the ancients, essence of nordrasil, etc.).
- Drape of Shame got nerfed, but is still a great cloak at this point unless you need the set cloak for your set bonus.
- The resto druid shoulder legendary got buffed but it is currently unclear where it falls in the list of legendary items, but should be better in cases where people are likely to hover at 100% long enough to accumulate extra HOT ticks.
- Sephuz’s secret got the 2% baseline haste that makes it better, especially on fights where you can use the proc.
- Tearstone was nerfed, but still a strong legendary.
- Several other legendaries got slight buffs that make them somewhat better but not really change in their priority at the moment.
Happy patch day! Once we see how all the changes shake out, I’ll do another round of edits on the resto druid healing guide sometime next week with updated info.