Hi druids! I have analyzed the data from 466 responses to the druid travel form survey. Below is the summary of the findings. This link will also take you directly to the Google analytics summary page (This includes the full 615 responses that were completed before I turned the survey off). Note that the Google analytics summary page dynamically updates and reflect the current results with more participants than what was used for the summary here. There isn’t a difference overall in the trends between the below analysis and the updated Google analytics.
Overall summary and design suggestions
- While responses to the change are overall negative, there are some people who like the change (or like at least some aspects of the change). There was not a single consensus all druids agreed upon.
- In general, there is less of a problem with ground travel and swim form being merged (other than general bugs with the transition out of the water). This was the aspect people rated most positively in both the multiple-choice and open-ended questions.
- People instead most often report disliking having ground and flight travel forms merged. While glyph of stag addresses this problem for 13% of people responding, there are also others who either don’t want to use the glyph or don’t have their particular problem solved by the glyph (this included 9% of people who didn’t know about the glyph). For example, people who want to use the Cheetah glyph will never see their Cheetah form in places with flight enabled, since there’s no way to both split flight form from ground form AND use the cheetah glyph.
- People also report a lot of problems where they fall to their deaths more often when in flight form (e.g., zoning, logging out and back in, or entering combat shifts them out of flight form), that increases their dislike of the merge.
- It might make the most sense to split off flight form from the merged form permanently, rather than only via the glyph. Then, the Glyph of Stag should split ground and swim form, so that people stop drowning their friends when ground form steps over puddles when using Mount Form.
See the complete analysis below.
- Druid Mains = 80% of sample; Druid alts = 20% of sample.
- Level 90 druids = 95% of sample. Remaining 5% were below level 90.
- 82% of druids have used travel form “sometimes” or “often”.
- 33% of druids are currently using Glyph of Stag.
- Travel form is most often used for solo questing, exploring the world, and herb/ore farming.
Summary of Open Ended Responses
What druids like about the change
- The thing people most frequently report liking about the change is shifting in and out of aquatic form automatically (from either ground, air, or both).
- Some druids also like the reduced button bloat, no longer having to use macros to do the same thing. In addition, some report ease of use or convenience as something they like about the change.
- The pie chart below shows the responses after I coded them for frequency:
What druids dislike about the change
- Druids most often report dislikes related to loss of control, flexibility, fun, or choice related to their shapeshift forms.
- In particular, druids often reported a dislike of having the ground travel form and flight form merged. This was particularly problematic for people who had been previously using the cheetah glyph, as cheetah form can’t be used in flight-enabled areas. In general, the glyph of stag is not suitable for addressing the concerns related to merging ground and flight form together, especially due to the exclusivity with other glyphs, and the feeling of “wasting” a glyph spot.
- People listed many other types of dislikes, including problems where the glyph of stag causes riders on the back of stags to be dismounted when shifting into water. Some people also just generally disliked the change entirely.
- Only 22% of druids said that they liked the changes made to travel form (13% neutral, and 63% dislike). In addition 72% suggested they liked the old separated forms better.
- Overall, 75% of druids feel that the new travel form prevents them from doing things they would like to do.
- In addition, 67% suggested they had concerns about control over their shapeshift buttons. Only 13% of people said that glyph of stag addressed these concerns.
- However, 65% of druids said that having land travel form shift into swim form when they went in the water was helpful.
- 55% of druids find the new travel form frustrating to use, but only 28% find the new form confusing to use (thus, the frustration likely stems from other problems, rather than from confusion related to the change).
- Please go directly to the Google Analytic link to see the pie charts for each multiple-choice question.
Thanks everyone for your responses! My summary of the bug reports and problem open-ended question (which can be seen in the analytics summary page) will be submitted elsewhere to save space in this post.